Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence blog post is sending notifications every time an image is uploaded

Gareth Hanekom July 2, 2019

I had a user report to me recently that whenever he drags and drops an image into one of his team's space's blog posts, Confluence sends his team members watching the space/blog an e-mail notification for each new image/attachment added. 

The expected behaviour is for Confluence to only notify watchers when the blog post is updated/published. 

It seems to be isolated to this one user, as I wasn't able to recreate the behaviour. 

This is on Confluence server 6.15.2.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem, and if so, how did you manage to correct it? 

2 answers

0 votes
Was hery January 12, 2021

That is wonderful info! I'm certain it must be something on our cease, then. I'll touch base with my group to troubleshoot similarly page.

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2019

Hello Gareth,

Thank you for contacting about this. This is expected behavior since the page is being updated with a new attachment.

There is a feature request below to clean up these notifications, which you can vote on:

• CONFSERVER-33214 Attaching files to the view page generates notification noise

By voting on the issue, you will automatically be added to the list of watchers so that you can receive updates on this request.

I hope that clarifies things, but let me know if you have any question about it.

Regards,

Shannon

Gareth Hanekom July 3, 2019

Hi Shannon 

Thanks for pointing that one out, but I've never experienced this behaviour in Confluence before. I know that adding attachments via the attachments list will send notifications, and saving changes after editing will also notify watchers, but I've never seen it notify watchers when adding images during editing. 

The user is editing an existing blog post and while in the edit screen, he drags and drops and image file into the page, at which point the watchers receive a notification. This doesn't happen when I do the same. 

Regards,
Gareth

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2019

Hi Gareth,

Can you clarify, you don't receive a notification when you add an attachment yourself, or when you add an attachment, no one else receives a notification? 

It should definitely be triggering a notification unless you don't have your notifications set to notify you of your own changes.

Regards,

Shannon

Gareth Hanekom July 4, 2019

Hi Shannon

My preferences are set to not notify me of my own changes. That is working fine. 

The way I'm testing this is as follows:

I've set up a test space with only 2 users, my regular account (A) and my admin account (B). My regular account (A) is watching the space. 

Account B created a blog post in the space, which notified account A as expected.

If account B adds an image/attachment in View mode by dragging and dropping, it notifies account A as expected.

If account B edits the post and adds images while in Edit mode, nothing is sent, which is expected, as I would only want to notify watchers of a change once I save the changes. 

The user describing the problem to me says that whenever he adds images, even in Edit mode, it sends notifications to the space watchers. I'm double-checking with him that this is in fact the case and that he is not mistakenly adding them while in View mode. I'll let you know what he confirms. 

Regards,
Gareth 

Gareth Hanekom July 4, 2019

Hi Shannon

The user confirmed that they're definitely in Edit mode when adding the images. 

Regards,
Gareth 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2019

Gareth,

When you drag an image to a page in Edit mode, the attachment is added immediately. If you were to close the page without saving, you should still be able to see the attachment in the list of attachments on the page. I've tested this myself and can confirm that it does add the attachment even if you don't save.

If only your user is not getting notifications, I would recommend reviewing your Confluence Server logs. You should be able to see if an error happened, or if it's been sent and you simply aren't getting it.

It's also possible to disable the attachment notifications as an admin, following the process below:

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events