Confluence and extended taxonomy / metadata

B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2014

Hi,

I am scripting all VMware Virtual Machines attributes into Confluence Documents under the Customer Space they belong to.

Secondly, as an Sysadmin on VMware, I want som alternative selection possibilities.

One of the attributes is the folder structure in Virtual Center, and I would like to view and (perhaps) select serverdocuments in Confluence from that structure.

A Folder could be like "Netic/vm/Netic/Hosted/Region Nord/Prod-Servers/"

Now, labels are quite insufficient, as I can make a "Netic/vm/Netic/Hosted/Region Nord/Prod-Servers/" label, but perhaps I want to find all documents to servers in folder "Netic/vm/Netic/Hosted/Region Nord/"

Multiple labels could warning solve it:

labels= "Netic",""Netic/vm/", ""Netic/vm/Netic/Hosted" . etc etc etc

But that really sucks... gives a lot of labels to handle and maintain....

So, how do I accomplish to add this taxonomy / metadata structure in a fitting manner.....

2 answers

1 vote
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2014

Hi Normann,

My first though is, why don't you just do it with text?  You could write somewhere in your document:

Server Location: Netic/vm/Netic/Hosted/Region Nord/Prod-Servers/

Then, to find all servers in Region Nord, you would simply do the following search (with quotes): "Server Location: Netic/vm/Netic/Hosted/Region Nord"

If you search for something more specific, it would not return the not matching values, and if you wanted less specific, it would return more pages.

B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2014

Hi, Sure, You are right, but it goes a bit further, which my initial question did not reflect, I also would like to "handle" these properties a bit more, like making the tree-structure from VM (or part of it) on a Confluence page, or via a java script lib. But Your thought is excellent enough :-)

0 votes
B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2014

As stated, the actual Page structure is not an option, Pages a placed in the Customers space.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events