Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Upgrade and Data Directory Config Issue

Scott Stricklin April 16, 2014

I'm moving Confluence off an old server onto a new QA and a new production server. I also need to upgrade. I began by creating a backup of the database, installing the current version of Confluence (4.0.3) and pointing the new instance to the database backup. That gave me a working version identical to my current production version, minus the attachments. I followed these steps on both the new QA and production instances.

So, I had two working instances on two separate servers using Confluence 4.0.3. I then upgraded QA to 5.4 and it worked fine. The problem came when I copied over the original data directory to get the attachments, and in the process overwrote confluence.cfg.xml, and whatever other vital file was in that directory structure.

What would be the best strategy to fix this? I corrected the database connection and license information in the XML file from the working production version, but I'm getting an Apache error. Should I just go back and reinstall, or is there an easier way to repair this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2014

Hi Scott,

Overwriting the confluence cfg file is certain to broke the application since this file contains many configuration parameters including the database connection.

I heavily recommend to restore this file and the rest of the data directory from a backup if you have one and just overwrite the attachments folder next time to retrieve the attachments.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

0 votes
Scott Stricklin April 16, 2014

Thanks. Sound advice.

Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2014

You are welcome :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events