Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Upgrade 5.1.3 to 5.5 failed

mfarrell July 14, 2014

We recently tried to upgrade our "Windows based" Confluence server from 5.1.3 to 5.5. We followed all of the instructions and during the process of the upgrade we recieved a UI dialog box message stating: failing while upgrading the JVM path. When we clicked okay to continue the process continued to copy files until it was done. Apparently Confluence 5.5 is now using Tomcat 7 because we also noticed that the Tomcat path did not get upgraded correctly either.

We have two specific questions:

1. Since we have running JIRA on this same server is it necessary to stop the JIRA windows service while doing the Confluence upgrade?

2. If the JIRA windows service was running would that have prevented the Tomcat instance from getting updated?

6 answers

0 votes
waynewong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2014

Hi there

If you're using installer(.exe) it come together with the supported JRE, so you will not need to install a separate one, if you're using the standalone(zip) file then you need to installl Java 1.7, do rmb to change your change home after that.

Thank you.

Regards,

Wayne WOng

0 votes
waynewong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2014

Hi there,

Based on the log that you had provided, I noticed that you are running Conflunece on Sun JDK 1.6

jvmVendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.

javaVersion = 1.6.0_14

According to our Support Platform, the only supported Java is Oracle JDK/JRE 1.7

Confluence is designed and test based on Oracle 1.7 only. So, your issue might be caused by the not supported Java.
Kindly Install a supported version of Java and see if the issue fix? Do remember to change your Java home after that.

If the problem persists after that, please kindly provide me your log file again or you can raise a support ticket.

Thank you :)

Regards,

Wayne Wong

0 votes
waynewong
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2014

Hi there,

Based on the log that you had provided, I noticed that you are running Conflunece on Sun JDK 1.6

jvmVendor = Sun Microsystems Inc.

javaVersion = 1.6.0_14

According to our Support Platform, the only supported Java is Oracle JDK/JRE 1.7

Confluence is designed and test based on Oracle 1.7 only. So, your issue might be caused by the not supported Java.
Kindly Install a supported version of Java and see if the issue fix? Do remember to change your Java home after that.

If the problem persists after that, please kindly provide me your log file again or you can raise a support ticket.

Thank you :)

Regards,

Wayne Wong

mfarrell July 28, 2014

Wayne, There is no other version of Java on this server except the one that comes with the Confluence installation. Should we install the 1.7 version of Java separately?

0 votes
mfarrell July 17, 2014

Here is the other one...(atlassian-confluence.txt)

Log was too big so I had to trim records from the file and it only covers the time when we were trying to do the upgrade.

0 votes
mfarrell July 17, 2014

I have attached this file:

(catalina.2014-07-12.log)

0 votes
waynewong
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2014

Hi there,

1. Since we have running JIRA on this same server is it necessary to stop the JIRA windows service while doing the Confluence upgrade?

I am asume you was referring to VM server but not the application server(tomcat) am I correct?

As long you are not running Jira and conflunce you should be fine and shut down jira is not nessary.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Installing+Confluence+and+JIRA+Together

2. If the JIRA windows service was running would that have prevented the Tomcat instance from getting updated?

Nope, as long they are not using the same tomcat.

Based on your description "failing while upgrading the JVM path. " I suspect you might bump into below's issue, but to further clarify the issue, could you please provide me your application-confluence.log and your server log which is catalina.out ?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Unable+to+upgrade+regarding+CONTENTLOCK+table

Thank you.

Regards,

Wayne Wong

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events