Confluence Universal Plugin Manager upgrade fails

Jaco van der Merwe September 20, 2012

We recently upgraded to Confluence 4.3.1. The Administration/Plugins page shows the following notification:

A newer version of the Universal Plugin Manager is available. Update now!

After clicking on the "Update now!" link it downloads version 2.7.3 of the UPM and starts installing it, but it never finishes. During this process Confluence stops working and we have to restart it.

We then tried downloading this plugin and doing a manual install as described in the documentation via the uplaoding of the jar file. The upload of the jar file into Confluence never completes and the same happens as above: Confluence stops working and we have to restart it.

I checked the version of the UPM installed with our Confluence 4.3.1. It is version 2.0.6. After restarting Confluence after the failed upgrades of the UPM to v 2.7.3 it reverts back to UPM v2.0.6 every time.

Is there a problem with v2.7.3 of the UPM?

1 answer

0 votes
Deleted user September 20, 2012

I had this problem as well. I ended up doing a manual update. The UPM is available here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.upm.atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin

It may not be the v2.7.3 that has a problem, it could be that your Confluence version fails to install it correctly. I'm saying this since I had this problem solved it, but I'm not using the latest UPM.

Missed that one. Can't remember exactly if this worked for us or I used a more brute force method: Downloading the .jar placing it in the correct folder in the Confluence install dir, then restarted the server.

As mentioned in my original question:

We then tried downloading this plugin and doing a manual install as described in the documentation via the uploading of the jar file. The upload of the jar file into Confluence never completes and the same happens as above: Confluence stops working and we have to restart it.

So, unfortunately the manual update process does not work either.

We had a look at the folder structure, but it wasn't obvious where to copy the jar file for the brute force method. We tried the bundled-plugins folder, but something gets cached and it just gets replaced with the previous UPM version.

Where is the correct place for the jar file to be copied?

Hmmm, tried looking for the path and I'm pretty sure i did not do this. There is a bundled plugins directory which has the old UPM, and a plugin cache which has the new UPM with an altered file name. And not a name created by a human being.

I guess the manual upload did work for us ... Anyway, we had the problem with 2.0.3 -> 2.6.1. It might be the version you're upgrading from that has the problem.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events