Confluence Team Calendars - can you add to Google Calendar?

A_Raadls May 2, 2019

Hi, I have been experimenting with this tool on and off for a year or so, in the hope that it will allow me to add both Jira Issues and Confluence pages to my google Calendar.  This is mainly for purposes of scheduling and running team meetings in as few clicks as possible.  Simply put, I'd like to create a confluence page, then migrate to the Team Calendars area of Confluence, create a "meeting" event, and have the even hit the team's Google calendar, without the need to to into my Google Calendar, set up the meeting, and paste the link to the page so people can view the agenda.

There is also a function to get Jira issues on a calendar.  I have a Jira issue attached to each Confluence meeting page to track the time we are in the meetings.  If I can't get the Confluence page to the Google Calendar, I'd be happy to have the Jira issue get to it.  Both would be even better!

Finally, as a point of strategy/planning, any insight in the community as to what's going on with this tool?  It's not cheap, and seems barely touched by Atlassian in a few years.  I don't want to invest in something that won't be supported - already did that with Portfolio for Jira for Cloud but thankfully didn't get too far down that road, and very much impressed by the Jira Premium which appears to be replacing it.  My main pull to Team Calendars is its made by Atlassian.  Probably at the top of my list of negatives with Jira/Confluence is the heavy reliance on add-on to so simple features, like highlight text in Confluence, or log time to multiple users (had to buy Tempo for that.). Most apps are buggy, with poorly integrated interfaces, and Jira is going way slow with just a few in the mix.  

Grateful for any help with this, thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
A_Raadls May 6, 2019

sorry this was supposed to be a response, not answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2019

Hello there!

You can surely subscribe to Google Calendars via Team Calendars. You can check our docs on this here:

Subscribe to Google Calendars from Confluence

However, the editing of events from that Google Calendar is not possible. To workaround this, we could create a Team Calendar Calendar and then, subscribe to it via Android calendar for two-way sync:

Subscribe to Team Calendars from Android Calendar

If there is no need for events to be edited via Google, we can use the one-way sync:

Subscribe to Team Calendars from Google Calendar

With both methods, users will be able to see events created within Confluence and interact with the information provided in them, like page links. You can take a deeper look at the integration options for Team Calendars here:

Subscribe to and from Team Calendars

Thanks for sharing this!

A_Raadls May 6, 2019

Hi, thanks for taking the time to get back to me.  However, there are two main questions I was hoping you could answer:

- Can you add a page to Google Calendar via Team Calendars?  I don't want to subscribe to the calendar per se, but simply create a page in Confluence, say a meeting agenda, then have it distributed to the participants' Google Calendar in a few clicks.

- What is your roadmap for this product?  The latest YouTube videos are years old, the interface looks dated, and there are a lot of bugs when I use it.  It's also pricey.  I don't want to invest in this tool when there are a lot of other options if you guys are not going to further develop it.  I prefer using this tool as it's built by Atlassian and not a third party, which is always a plus for me, but if it's effectively not being further developed, that is a big minus.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events