Confluence Space key has a space character in it

Varun Jain April 15, 2015

Hey Atlassian,

I inherited admining a Confluence instance, and one of the spaces has a space character within the name. Is there a way I can rename this key, or go and delete the space altogether? There's no pages in the space that need to be kept.

Whenever I try to access the space, be it Overview, Summary, etc, it gives me Page Not Found error

key="blah 1"

viewspacesummary.action?key=blah%201

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Varun Jain May 6, 2015

Hi All,

I found the best solution, for me, was just going into the database and updating the Space Key and removing the space. After doing this, clearing the cache + reindexing, all things were accessible again.

Cheers,
VJ 

0 votes
Lauretha Rura
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2015

Hi Varun, 

In this case, you can refer to this KB which consist the instructions to delete these spaces manually from the database. 

Please remember to backup your data before performing any modifications to the database.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, 

Lauretha

0 votes
Rodrigo Girardi Adami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2015

Hi Varun,

As far as I know, the only way to change a space key is by cloning the space. It's stated here.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Thanks for the response Rodrigo, but unfortunately that doesn't explain how to delete that an entire space. -VJ

Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2015

Try creating a support ticket with Atlassian since this seems to be some kind of big with their system that it let them create this spacekey in the first place. Maybe they can give you the SQL command to run to remove the space from the DB.

0 votes
Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2015

I assume if you try this link you also get a Page not found?

http://your-domain/spaces/removespace.action?key=blah%201

Yes, does not work like that sad

Alex Yasurek
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2015

I would suggest trying to use the API but I have a feeling it will also throw errors. It's weird that confluence even let them create a spacekey like that in the first place. The only other option I can think of is to delete it from the database since you are not able to get into the space admin section of the space.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events