Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Server upgraded from 5.8.4 to 6.6.0, can't connect to SQL DB via JDB

Jamie Simon December 26, 2017

I am upgrading my Development instance of Confluence from v5.8.4 to v6.6.0 and using the com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver driver, cannot connect to the existing database on MS SQL Server using a domain service account (mydomain\mylogin).

On v5.8.4, connection to SQL Server uses the net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver and connects like this:

jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://myserver:1433/Confluence;domain=mydomain

I've iterated configurations many times using the com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver, based on the instructions in https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/migrate-from-the-jtds-driver-to-the-supported-microsoft-sql-server-driver-in-confluence-6-4-or-later-939505122.html, with strings like this:

jdbc:sqlserver://myserver:1433;database=Confluence;

With the added property "IntegratedSecurity=true", the login is ignoring the configured username/password and passing "mydomain\myservername" to the DB (which is rejected).  What I need to do is pass "mydomain\mylogin".  I cannot find relevant examples online. Has anyone successfully configured this?

2 answers

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 28, 2017

Jamie figured out that if he added the IntegratedSecurity=true property to the JDBC connection string, the MS JDBC driver would pass through to the database the credentials used to run the Windows service. So a big part of the trick was changing the default Local System as the account running the service, to the domain account he wanted to connect to the database with.

Using IntegratedSecurity=true causes the database driver to ignore the username and password in confluence.cfg.xml.

Jamie Simon January 2, 2018

Thanks for the repost and followup Ann! :)

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2017

We did some testing but found we need more information to continue. So that we can have a closer look, I opened a support request on your behalf. You should get an email from the portal shortly.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events