Confluence Server upgraded from 5.8.4 to 6.6.0, can't connect to SQL DB via JDB

I am upgrading my Development instance of Confluence from v5.8.4 to v6.6.0 and using the com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver driver, cannot connect to the existing database on MS SQL Server using a domain service account (mydomain\mylogin).

On v5.8.4, connection to SQL Server uses the net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver and connects like this:

jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://myserver:1433/Confluence;domain=mydomain

I've iterated configurations many times using the com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver, based on the instructions in https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/migrate-from-the-jtds-driver-to-the-supported-microsoft-sql-server-driver-in-confluence-6-4-or-later-939505122.html, with strings like this:

jdbc:sqlserver://myserver:1433;database=Confluence;

With the added property "IntegratedSecurity=true", the login is ignoring the configured username/password and passing "mydomain\myservername" to the DB (which is rejected).  What I need to do is pass "mydomain\mylogin".  I cannot find relevant examples online. Has anyone successfully configured this?

2 answers

0 vote
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Dec 27, 2017

We did some testing but found we need more information to continue. So that we can have a closer look, I opened a support request on your behalf. You should get an email from the portal shortly.

0 vote
Ann Worley Atlassian Team Dec 28, 2017

Jamie figured out that if he added the IntegratedSecurity=true property to the JDBC connection string, the MS JDBC driver would pass through to the database the credentials used to run the Windows service. So a big part of the trick was changing the default Local System as the account running the service, to the domain account he wanted to connect to the database with.

Using IntegratedSecurity=true causes the database driver to ignore the username and password in confluence.cfg.xml.

Thanks for the repost and followup Ann! :)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

899 views 23 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you