Confluence Server configuration on Azure Virtual Machine

Naime Surenkok March 19, 2018

Dear all,

We have switched from Confluence Cloud to Confluence Server lately. And we try to configure the domain settings on Azure VM. We see that we can serve internet on port 80 but unfortunately cannot connect to Confluence Server on port 8090 yet. 

We are using MsSQL Server 2014 and we did the necessary configuration on this and IIS as well, we suppose.

Should we change server base URL or change inbound security rules? We try them all but we cannot reach a solution.

Could you please guide us about what we are missing ?

2 answers

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2018

Hi Naime,

I understand you installed Confluence on a Windows VM hosted by Microsoft Azure, but cannot access Confluence on port 8090.

I am not an Azure expert, but I hope I can still help. In my experience with Windows Server, the issue can be caused by port 8090 being blocked on the Windows Firewall. For Azure, I found this article: How to open ports to a virtual machine with the Azure portal

I look forward to hearing if opening port 8090 enables you to access Confluence.

Thanks,

Ann

0 votes
Naime Surenkok March 20, 2018

Hello Ann,

Thanks a lot, it was helpful and we could access to the 8090 port. that is fine!

But one another issue is how to direct 8090 port to port 80. we need a way to do it without using IIS. currently we can view our Confluence server page on docs.xxxxx.com:8090 but we need to view it on docs.xxxxx.com , maybe that is just too basic information but i am new to all this Azure VM settings. 

Best regards,

Naime

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2018

First, make sure the system is not running any web servers (IIS, Apache etc), or anything else on port 80.

Then, modify the Tomcat that runs Confluence so that it runs on port 80.  That's in the server.xml file.  You might have to alter security settings in the OS to allow it too.

Note - I'd recommend doing it with a proxying web-server - it's easier and safer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events