Confluence SSO with Jespa breaks Application Link to JIRA

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2012

I recently implemented SSO on Confluence with Jespa and it worked great. However the implementation broke the application link to JIRA.

Has anyone implemented Jespa for SSO and have successfully configured application links? Please chip in your experience.

Confluence v4.2.6
JIRA v5.1

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2012

Jespa works just fine in every single environment I've encountered so far. Breaking applicaitons links has nothing to do with Jespa itself or NTLM (or Kerberous for this matter), but would be in the realm of the authenticator code that uses Jespa.

For example, our [NTLM Authenticator for Jira and Confluence|http://turningright.co.nz/display/TurningRight/NTLM+Authenticator] support trusted applications integration. In the absolute worth case scenario certain URLs can be just put on ignore list if required.

We have multiple installations globally where it just works. Running well since 2008. We very rarely had to hold customers hands (I fully support Jespa developers' opinion that NTLM is so-o-o much easier and reliable than Kerberous). Most of them have upgraded to Confluence 4.x and Jira 5.x recently without any problems.

Please feel free to provide more details about your specific deployment.

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2012

Thanks guys. I understand that Kerberos is better than NTLMv2. Since Jespa was just purchased, we will have to stick to it for now.

@ed, i contacted you via your site yesterday asking about your authenticator. Please contact me via email so we can continue further. Thanks.

2 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2012

Jespa - Hmm - interesting.

We have a Kerberos solution and do not have troubles with the app links.

Here's our opinion on NTLM, fwiw. Googling NTLM, Jespa, and JCIFS seems to be a ton of MIXED opinions - so just telling you our field experience.

Maybe you can glean some insights from this doc for Atlassian's Sharept connector?

If interested in the Kerberos solution - we've deployed it successfully over 30 times and counting now since Oct '11

info@appfusions.com

0 votes
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2013

Have just noticed the same problem since installing Jespa SSO in Confluence.

Our Jira uses the same ldap connection to Active Directory but doesn't use Juspa. IIRC the applink user was a non-ldap user, and there may be problems a non-ldap user authenticating one way or the other. Jespa allows certain paths to be excluded, it is possible that excluding the path used by the application link may fix the issue.

I haven't investigated this yet due to priorities...more later.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events