Confluence Performance issue - authenticated users take ~9s to render page, anonymous only 2s

Brendan Patterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

We are investigating performance issues with our server and have been unable to determine yet the cause. We've tried all the basic approaches we can think of:

▪increasing RAM

▪moving to physical hardware

▪moving the confluence-home directory local

The strange thing with the current space we are investigating is how much longer page renders for authenticated users take....about 9seconds from about 2seconds or +4.5X longer.

Has anyone seen this behavior with Confluence before? (where authenticated users take a LOT) longer?

The page does have a Zen-theme-brand, but no other content nor macros are on the page.

Any ideas how can we troubleshoot this?

thanks!
Brendan

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brendan Patterson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2014

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I think we traced this particular performance issue to the use of the Confluence DraftManager which seems to look through even "orphaned drafts" when invoked. It just so happened this was only happening for authenticated users.

It was a slippery one but ultimately tied to a plugin's use of an underlying API that seems to not be optimized. Rewriting the plugin code invoking the API and deleting orphaned drafts seems to have solved this particular issue.

It was strange behavior I'd not seen so just thought I'd post to answers in hopes that someone had tripped across the same problem :)

thanks,

Brendan

0 votes
Patrice Rompas
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2014

Hi Brendan,

You may want to start by switching to Confluence default theme and see if the issue persists.
The next thing you can do is to enable plugin safe mode. This will determine if the issue is caused by the theme/plugins.

Otherwise, if you're using external LDAP as User management, you should ensure that the search filter (base DN, additional user DN, user filter) doesn't start from the highest level of tree.
If you're not using external LDAP, I'd recommend you to request Atlassian Support to assist you with this.

Regards,
Samuel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events