Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Migration from one server to another server of same OS

SuBoDh KoMmInEnI September 7, 2014

Hi, I have to migrate Confluence from one server to another server (same OS windows); External SQL Server DB (DB is on diff serve)

I went thru the below page and still have some questions.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrating+Confluence+Between+Servers?focusedCommentId=265902769#comment-265902769

In the above page it says: "it does not cover database migration, application server migration, or upgradin"

So i am assuming that i need to install Apache Tomcat and Confluence first on New server and them follow the steps of topic "Transferring Confluence To Another Server Using The Same Operating System" from 1 to 4.2, 10.a to 16.

Other than above migration process if there is any other process please suggest.

Any help is appreciated. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2014

Hi SK, regarding this question:

So i am assuming that i need to install Apache Tomcat and Confluence first on New server and them follow the steps of topic "Transferring Confluence To Another Server Using The Same Operating System" from 1 to 4.2, 10.a to 16.

The short answer is yes, basically install Confluence (same version) in the new server and after move your database, home folder (the folder that stores attachments, index, etc) and your customizations (SSL, SSO).

As for another method, if your content isn't very large, you may attempt to use the XML restore, instead of copying over database and home folder.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2014

Also, if the new box will be accessed via the same domain and C-name then you should be fine, but if you change the domain name you will need to go into General Configuration and update the base url. Also when you copy the home folder from one server to the other you should compress it first. This will save a TON of time. If you are using MSSQL for your database when you copy the databse to the new server you will need to create a login on that server with the same UN/PW as the old server. Then you will need to grant it access to the db. Simply, creating a login with the same UN/PW without granting access to the db will not work as the SID between the two servers will not be the same ... this is if you use MSSQL.

SuBoDh KoMmInEnI September 10, 2014

Hi Davin, I am not migrating the SQL server; SQL Server is in another server; Still do i need to make the above user ID addition?

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2014

If the SQL server is staying the same then you can ignore what I was saying about SQL. I was saying that in case your installation and the SQL server are on the same box and you were migrating to another server with the wiki and SQL on it.

SuBoDh KoMmInEnI September 14, 2014

Hi Davin, I copied the folders from old server to new one and started the confluence service in new server (old server service was stopped). I launched the application and i was able to browse thru the content. How ever when i try to login into confluence as admin or to add my space it is not authenticating; giving an error message saying wrong username and password. We are also using active directory and crowd from atlassian for user authentication. Do i need to make any changes or configurations to have this migration successfull? Thanks in advacne.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2014

Can you login with the default admin account? Is it only LDAP accounts that are broken?

SuBoDh KoMmInEnI September 18, 2014

Hi Davin, I have added new confluence IP Address in crowd and accessed the application. I was able to launch and tried to login and still getting same issue. There is no local admin account and confluence is running as windows service.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2014

The is a local confluence admin account. You cannot remove all of the local admins to my knowledge. The default account is admin. If you don't remember the password you can follow this to reset it. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Restoring+Passwords+To+Recover+Admin+User+Rights

0 votes
SuBoDh KoMmInEnI September 8, 2014

for migrating prod instance.

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2014

Is this for the purpose of creating a test instance or for migrating your prod install to a new box?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events