Confluence/Jira as a production recepe database

Laurent Bazinet September 30, 2013

Hello,

I am not quite sure if we can do this with Confluence/Jira (don't even know which one would be best to do this).

We are a hardware company trying to find the proper tool to help R&D and the transition between R&D and production. We currently have archives in which resides a recepe for our projects.

Right now, if we wish to make a change in a product, we have to scan the recepes to look if the modification affects other products. We currently do not have a database for this; hence why we are seeking alternative tools to spreadsheets....

Would Confluence or Jira be suited to do such a thing.

- Keep in track version of each components and from this, create a recepe for each projects using links to the latest versions.

- Enable search of where components are used and maybe flag which components are affected when a modification is done to a component.

I am aware that a database is best suited for this and we do have an MRP. The problem is not inventory but more keeping track of changes in the ingredients required to make a product.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

I don't think JIRA/Confluence are targetted for such a use. Confluence is a great collaborative/documentation tool, but to manage the intricate relationships between recipes and components another tool choice would probably be better.

I am thinking an enterprise portfolio managment tool would help with the links between, but they are not cheap.

Laurent Bazinet October 1, 2013

Thank you for your input Eddie.

0 votes
Laurent Bazinet October 1, 2013

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events