Confluence: Is there a way to hide the authors name (added by user) in every page globally?

Chitra Patil April 26, 2013

We don't want the author name to show up in our end user documentation. We don't need customers to know who created what page. Is there a plugin or setting that can hide the "added" and "edited" by user names in Confuence?

10 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 29, 2013

If you want to do this globally including spaces with custom stylesheets, go to Confluence Admin | Look & Feel | Custom HTML and paste into At the end of the HEAD:

<style>
  #com-atlassian-confluence .page-metadata  {
    display:none; 
  }
</style>

I've aggressively upped the specificity with #com-atlassian-confluence just in case people are customising heavily.

Chitra Patil April 29, 2013

Thanks, David! This worked like a charm!

Damian Andre November 3, 2013

Great! is there a way to move it to the bottom of the page instead (just above comments?)

Manuela Schwendener March 2, 2018

Hi Damian, did you find a solution for this? It's what we'd like to do, too.

4 votes
Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2013

I added

.page-metadata  { display:none; }

to the custom stylesheet of our documentation space (Browse > Space Admin > Stylesheet). We're using Confluence 4.
For more information on styling Confluence with CSS look here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Styling+Confluence+with+CSS.

2 votes
Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2013

Hi Chitra,

we hid the whole line using CSS.
Nevertheless, the information is in the HTML and can be retrieved if looking at the source of the page. To us, that didn't matter.

Cheers,
Kirstin

1 vote
Fajar Suryawan June 6, 2013

I want to hide the author for a space or a specific page. How do I that in Confluence 5.x?

I could not find Kristin's step" Browse > Space Admin > Stylesheet " in our Confluence 5.1

Fajar Suryawan June 6, 2013

I found that Space Admins do not have access to the space's "Stylesheet" page. But members of "Confluence- administrators" do.

AndrewP November 18, 2015

Is there an answer for hiding this content based on a Page or Space only?

1 vote
Daniela Scheiwe
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

If you check the page layout in confluence admin / layout you will find the line

#parse ("/decorators/includes/page-metadata.vm")

If you want to hide the complete metadata line (created/updated information) you can just delete this line. But if you want to hide only parts of it, you have to look into the page-metadata.vm file and do your changes here.

0 votes
R Donato
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2014

Thanks much! That worked.

0 votes
R Donato
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2014

Hello, I used David's css and it removes the entire line.

I would like to keep the date last edited though. How do I remove only the names?

Thanks!

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2014

You could add

.page-metadata .author { display: none; }

but this would only hide the authors name, not the text "Created by".

I suppose that you need Java script to hide this text, too.

0 votes
Chitra Patil April 30, 2013

David's solution worked without going into the .vm file. Thanks everyone.

0 votes

Thanks everybody for your answers; I am yet to try out the suggestions.

David,

We are not using the default theme at all; we are using the customized Refinedwiki theme--the global HTML is not applicable.

Not sure if changing the .vm file will work either. I will try and let you all know.

0 votes

Hi Kirstin,
Can you please tell me where you hid the CSS line globally? We cannot hide in each and every page--we have 1000s of pages.

Superuschi,
We are using Refinedwiki theme, so the default layout is not applied there. Any idea where I can find the .VM files? in the \install directory?

Daniela Scheiwe
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2013

For our installation it's in the confluence main folder (not application data), subfolder "confluence/decorators/includes", so our path is

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Confluence\confluence\decorators\includes

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events