Confluence Global "Auto-Watch" Setting?

Gregory Sudderth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2011

You know how sometimes you feel like you know something but can't find the actual data...this is one of those times.

I can't find, either in General Configuration, or in any Space Admin, a way to set "don't set Watch=ON when I create a space, or modify one..." etc.

Can't even find it in the docs! Thanks in advance.

G.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2011

You had the right terminology - it's 'autowatch' you're after. It's in your user preferences:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Editing+User+Settings#EditingUserSettings-email

1. Go to your name (the 'User' menu) at the top of the page and choose Settings.
  2. Click Email in the left-hand panel.
  3. Click Edit.
Gregory Sudderth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2011

WHOA! I have been using Confluence for 6 months and have never seen that menu (set of menus!). I guess that's what I get for being busy! Thanks! I think I'm going to file this as a bug...somehow I have about 80 pages on "watches" tab...and I didn't watch them (I don't generally). I'm a create-content-and-forget kinda guy right now.

Has there been a case of random pages getting set to Watch?

Gregory Sudderth
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 28, 2011

Now this is interesting: its even got me watching a deleted page...and there's no way to delete that watch...not a big problem (never gonna trigger unless the page is restored/replaced) but it looks like a bug to me! I will file it.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2011

It's likely that you're getting these as auto-watched because you created or commented on them, I suspect?

Notice the discussion and update from Sherif (our product manager) about a potential global setting for this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22070

3 votes
David Skreiner September 18, 2014

Atlassian refused to allow a global setting; and unless you enable email, users won't even be able to turn the setting off in their preferences. The argument was, I believe, that users enjoy getting mailbombed. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-22070

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events