Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Files with wrong owner

Michi June 9, 2022

Hi,

i did upgrade to version 7.13.7 due to the security alert. The upgrade procedure works flawless except that the installer told me at the beginning, that he cannot access some files an i should do the upgrade with sudo. I did so an it worked. Afterwords i recognized, that many files in some folders are owned by root.root and could not be accessed by confluence. confluence could also not start. I then did a chown -R confluence.confluence and confluence could start again.

Can you please tell me if there exists some procedure to check a installation for correct file-permissions / file-owner ?

BR

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2022

Hi @Michi ,

Welcome to the community.

Ensure that the following directories can be read and written to by this dedicated user account (e.g. 'confluence'):

• The sub-directories of the Confluence Installation Directory:
    logs
    temp
    work
  • The entire Confluence Home directory 

Detail explanation is in https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/creating-a-dedicated-user-account-on-the-operating-system-to-run-confluence-255362445.html

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2022

Hi @Michi ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!.

Atlassian always recommends starting or off the confluence with the Confluence user. I would suggest you check the user.sh file.

1. The path of the file is  <Installation_Direrctory>/bin/  and check which user are you running confluence in the file and please change it to Confluence.
  2. Please change the user and group membership of the Installation and Application directory using the chown -R confluence:confluence  directory_name.
  3. Please also check the Permission of the files ideally this file needs to read, write, then 775 or 755 based on you by using chmod -R 775 or 755 directory_name (Installation and Application ).
  4. Start you confluence by using confluence user.

hope this information is helpful.

Regards,
Mayur

0 votes
Michi June 10, 2022

thanks for answers.

I checked all files manually for correct owner/group.

Best Regards

Michi

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events