Confluence - Custom LDAP Authenticator

Hi,

We use a custom ldap authenticator to facilitate single-signon for Confluence. This custom authenticator does the below:
a: Relies on LDAP for user authentication
b: Retrieves the groups for the user from Crowd to facilitate authorization.
c: If the user is authenticated by LDAP but doesnt exist in Crowd, it adds the user to crowd and associates "confluence-users" group for that user in Crowd's confluence directory

This piece of functionality works fine in Confluence 3.5, that uses Crowd's crowd-integration-client-2.3.3.jar under confluence/web-inf/lib directory.

Our new Crowd version is 2.5.1 and new confluence version is 4.3.5. In this confluence, functionalities "a" and "b" mentioned above works. But "c" doesnt work.

Observations:

When I add "crowd-integration-client-2.3.3.jar" [originally used in my confluence 3.5] to confluence/web-inf/lib, the "User Directories" link under confluence -> admin is missing.

When I add "crowd-integration-client-2.5.1.jar" to confluence/web-inf/lib, Confluence doesnt start at all. There is a unix process running as Confluence, but confluence doesnt come up. And no logs populate under ConfluenceHome/log. Essentially Confluence doesnt come up.

When I *dont* add this crowd-integration-client-x.x.x.jar at all, "a" and "b" still works fine. BUt when a scenario of "c" happens [User authenticated in LDAP but not existing in crowd], my custom LDAP authenticator tried to add the user to Crowd, finds this jar missing and reports the following error in logs:
===
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/atlassian/crowd/service/soap/client/SecurityServerClientFactory
===

Code Snip of the part that fails:
===
SecurityServerClient securityServerClient = SecurityServerClientFactory
.getSecurityServerClient();
// Try creating new user
if (log.isDebugEnabled())

{ log.debug("Creating User record in Crowd repository."); }

SOAPPrincipal principal = new SOAPPrincipal();
principal.setActive(true);
===

The first line on the snip fails due to absence of JAR.

NOTE: We are in the UAT phase and migrating to this new version of Crowd and Confluence by Mid March. This is a blocker and I would be happy and pleased to receive a fast reply on this.

Please Help. Many Thanks in advance!

-Mani

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Paul Greig Atlassian Team Feb 24, 2013

Hi Mani,

Is this issue related to a locally installed version of Confluence or the OnDemand hosted solution?

This widget could not be displayed.

locally installed version within my organization

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Monday in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

470 views 6 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you