Confluence - Combining a wiki with discussion and document sharing functionality

Dan Staley April 11, 2012

We are looking for an on-premise solution that combines a robust, easy to use wiki with 'collaboration areas'. These areas should allow users to:

• Discussion
    • Post, like and reply to messages which can contain @mentions #tags and attachments (like Yammer Groups)
    • Join groups and recieve email notifications (perferably with the full content of the mesage) when new messages or replies are posted
    • Reply to messages directly from email notifications
    • See a list of all groups they are subscribed to
    • See a feed of all recent activity accross all the groups they are subscribed to
  • Document Sharing
    • Share Documents - potentially superseeding the use of a shared drive
    • Check-in / check-out version controlled documents
    • Organise documents into folders
    • View a feed of recent document activity
    • allow links to documents stored on the DMS to be treated like attached documents
    • Easily reference documents in discussions (so they dont create a new version by attaching it to a message)

If multible platforms are needed to meet these requirement then they must share a common look and feel as well as intergrated search.

Have you got any reccomendations about how this should be achieved?

What would be the main challenges in achieving this using Conflunce?

What other tools could be used for collaboration areas which could be combined with Confluence?

Are there any other tools worth considering for the entire solution?

1 answer

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2012

Except for the full forum functionality all others comes in Confluence OOTB.

Basic forum can be achieved using Community bubbles plugin. But replying to emails to post answers for that is not available there, AFAIK.

Dan Staley April 11, 2012

really? Even organising documents into folders? I know there is a check-in / check-out plugin.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2012

May be I mislead you a bit, when I meant document sharing I meant Confluence documents, not as file share with folders.

Dan Staley April 12, 2012
Could you give an answer assuming I meant files rather than pages?
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2012
  • For external document management with Confluence, I guess the only way it to embed/attach files.
  • But attaching files to pages also supports versioning by Confluence.
  • Different folders means different pages arranged in the heirarchy with just {attachments} macro in the page
  • Feeds of course supports all new attachments also happening in the space. (with type as 'attachment')
  • Cross reference of attachments from one page is possible in other pages. Even embedding right into the other pages are also supported.
Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2013

What is the workaround for having groups?

• Let users join groups as they choose
  • All members get notifications of what happens there

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events