Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence 7.11.1 Fails to Start Due to READ-COMMITTED error

europoint March 10, 2021

My Docker instance of Confluence 7.11.1 has failed to start correctly with the following error:

MySQL session isolation level 'REPEATABLE-READ' is no longer supported. Session isolation level must be 'READ-COMMITTED'. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/GAtmDg

I have checked the appropriate kb at https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/confluence-fails-to-start-and-throws-mysql-session-isolation-level-repeatable-read-is-no-longer-supported-error-241568536.html

Both my.cnf and the confluence.cfg.xml were already set for the isolation level to be READ-COMMITTED.

I updated the JDBC string to include the sessionVariables parameter and restarted the instance.

The error still occurs - the strange thing is that nothing has changed since yesterday, when it was working fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
europoint March 10, 2021

@Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]Thanks for your reply - I had added that setting in my.cfg.

I discovered the issue - I had changed the file permissions on the my.cfg such that it couldn't be read by MySQL when starting up.

Strangely even having the setting in confluence.cfg.xml or adding the change to the JDBC didn't overrule the my.cfg.

Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2021

Great to hear that the issue has been resolved. Did you found out how the permissions changed suddenly?

confluence.cfg.xml can't override MySQL configuration file (my.cnf). So, you will have to update it manually, followed by restart of the respective services.

0 votes
Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2021

Just to confirm you added below line in my.cnf, followed by restarting the MySQL service.

[mysqld]
transaction-isolation=READ-COMMITTED

And restart Confluence after updating confluence.cfg.xml.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events