Confluence 5.1.3 problem - Unable to find template renderer to handle file extension .soy

Xing Lian June 10, 2013

Hi, I'm just trying to use Confluence in my department. I downloaded the trial version 5.1.3 to get to know some features of this newest version of Confluence. I installed the software in my desktop following the online installation guide in this site.

But when I start and access Confluence, I always see the error "$soyTemplateRendererHelper.getRenderedTemplateHtml("com.atlassian.auiplugin:aui-experimental-soy-templates", "aui.page.header.soy", $templateParameters) " on the top and "Error formatting macro: recently-updated-dashboard: com.atlassian.confluence.renderer.template.TemplateRenderingException: Unable to find template renderer to handle file extension .soy" on the right side of the page.

I searched this using google and found there were several people who had the same issues. Someone said that the issue was resolved after restarting the Confluence. But I tried this several times and nothing happened for this issue.

We are planning to use this new version of Confluence but I'm not sure if we will still have the same issue on the server. Could you give any suggestions about this problem? Thank you!

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ruchi Tandon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2013

Hey Xing,

After researching further, I figured out that the problem could be caused due to the fact that not all modules of the Soy plugin are enabled. Please refer to this KB article : Comment Box Disappears: $soyTemplateRendererHelper.getRenderedTemplateHtml and verify that all modules are enabled and then restart the instance. Hopefully that should resolve the problem in this case.

0 votes
Xing Lian June 16, 2013

Thanks for all your help. I tried the solution "manually enable the plugin through the database" following the instruction you provided. But it looks not working. I uninstalled the version of 5.1.3 and tried version 5.0. The same problem is still existing. After that, I uninstalled the version 5.0 and tried version 4.1.10 and it works fine this time. Just now, I wanted to have another try for the newest version so I uninstalled the version 4.1.10 and installed the version 5.1.3 again. Now the newest version works. I have no idea what happens. But now I can have a try for the trial version of 5.1.3. Thank you all for your kind help.

0 votes
Ruchi Tandon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2013

Hey Xing,

Usually, such error can be solved by clearing plugin cache or increasing the time it takes for the plugins to wait as mentioned in the Step 2 of the resolution in this KB.

I hope it helps in your case.

0 votes
hsuhailah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2013

Possibly Atlassian Soy Templates Plugin and/or Confluence Soy Templates Support Plugin got disabled. To check on this, navigate to Confluence Admin > Manage Add-Ons and ensure that the System Plugins and all of their modules are enabled.

PS: Are you using the bundled HSQLDB or connecting Confluence with an external database? If you are using an external database e.g. MySQL AND you failed to enable one or both of the mentioned plugins, you can try to manually enable it through the database following this documentation.

Xing Lian June 11, 2013

Hi, Hanis, thank you for your reply. But I couldn't reach the Confluence Admin > Manage Add-Ons because the page is not displayed properly. There is no link for it on the page.

BTW, I just want to have a try first for the installation and use for the newest version Confluence. Our department wants to upgrade the very olde version Confluence used now. Therefore, I use the embedded HSQLDB as the database.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events