Confluence 4.2.3 poor search results

G'Day Confluence gurus,

I wonder why I can not get a page in the search results when I search for the title. For instance, I have a page titled eForms - UAT and when I search for it then it does not even comes in the search results. It comes others which have eForms as prefix.

Reindexing (It took 38 hours to do it but finished appraently with not errors) improved the results a bit but still the example above is not coming up. Other example "eForms - Operational Support Matrix" does not appear in the results and it does not bring other pages with eForms as prefix (as in teh example above).

I get quite a few other pages that I search by title

Relevant information are:

Indexing language: English

Attachment maximun size : 71.53

The Confluence Usage Stats plugin is disabled

When reindexing the logs showed a few pages which attachments were not found

The index queue is empty

Confluence is isntalled in a Windows server 2008

Application server Apache Tomcat/6.0

Database: Microsoft AQL Server 09.00.5000

I appreciate any help to trouble shoot this problem. I manage other instance of Confluence which search results are better so it is not the product itself

Kind regards

Carlos

2 answers

1 accepted

0 vote

Hi Carlos,

It is possible that the index cache is corrupted. The resolution is to force confluence to rebuild the indeces from scratch. Refer to this document for the step to perform this https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Rebuild+the+Content+Indices+from+Scratch.

You might also want to exclude the attachment indexing in Confluence https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/How+Do+I+Disable+Indexing+of+Attachments.

Sometimes, indexing might be halted because it is unable to index the attachment content in a page. By excluding the attachment from indexing, Confluence will not index the content of an attachment but you will still be able to search the attachment from their tile.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jing,

I reindexed again after excluding the attachments and now the quality of the search results are excellent as far as the text and the title of the Confluenece pages . We are receiving attachments of 80 Mb maximun (a request of a Research group) and this might be too big because I think the index was halted before because now without the attachments is 3 times bigger

Regards

Carlos

Are you quoting your search queries in ""?

It could be the hyphen in your query that is actually excluding certain phrases from the results.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,768 views 26 10
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you