Companion App doesn't update saved document

jhuml August 8, 2017

I evaluate cloud version of Confluence and try to edit Excel document. I am using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Here are my steps:

1. I downloaded Atlassian Companion App (today it updates to version 0.1.2) and run it, so it is shown in the system tray.
  2. Created new Excel document and upload it into the Confluence.
  3. Clicked on Edit file button and after the preview has been shown I clicked on Edit with dropdown and selected Excel.
  4. Excel opened with downloaded document, I made changes within and save it.
  5. Confluence still shows dialog Waiting for file changes from Excel and Update button is disabled:

companion-app-waiting-for-excel.png

6. When I quit Excel app the dialog disappears, but document in Confluence remains unchanged.

Am I doing something wrong?

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2017

Hi Jiří, 

Per our blog, Edit attached files with the apps on your desktop,

Some apps will try to change the file format when saving—from .docx to .odt for example. If the app doesn't use the same format by default and tries to change it, it'll confuse the Atlassian Companion app and the file won't automatically re-upload. Edit with app works when you save the file in the same format as was stored in Confluence.

Can you confirm the format isn't changing? If not, can you let us know what version of Office you're running on your Mac? 

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

jhuml August 11, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for reply. I read the article you've mentioned and I can confirm, that document format did not change. I created .docx document in Excel on my Mac and tried to edit it on the same machine, in the same Excel app, version 15.26 (160910).

Unfortunately today I created another Excel document and this behavior didn't appear anymore, so I stay a little bit confused. I also verified Companion app with Word and it seems to be ok.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2017

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know that. So to be clear, are you no longer able to replicate the behavior? 

Kind Regards,
Shannon

jhuml August 11, 2017

I am able to replicate this behavior only with the Excel document mentioned at the beginning.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 11, 2017

Thank you!

So I downloaded Office 2016 since my copy of Excel was from Office 2011. I am now running Excel 15.36 on macOS Sierra. 

With this combination, I created a .xlsx file. I uploaded it to my Cloud Confluence instance, embedded it into a page, and then used the Atlassian Companion app to edit it.

I can confirm the changes were applied.

1. Can you see if you have an update availble to your Excel since you seem to be behind a bit now from the most recent available? If you have an update, please apply it and let me know if your edits are changed.
  2. If you are not using the .xlsx format, please let me know which one you are using.
  3. Lastly, as an administrator, I am able to see details about your Cloud instance. Is there a certain page and document I could test this with if we cannot rule out the issue with the above points? I will not post any of your personal details online of course, so you can just tell me the minimum amount of information I can use to identify the problematic page and try it on my end.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

jhuml August 11, 2017

That's great Shannon, thank you.

With your last message you gave me a suggestion to try to rename document before editing and I can confirm, that problem is with the diacritics in filename. When I renamed document to 'Test - backlog.xslx', all seems to be fine. And when I renamed document to 'Cílení - backlog.xslx', Companion app didn't see changes made to the file.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2017

Hello Jiří,

Thank you for letting us know you were able to determine the cause of the issue. However, if I create an Excel document with the same name, attach it to a page, and then edit in Excel using Companion App, the changes do still appear. I am just making text changes, though.

Are there specific changes that do not appear? I'd like to be able to report this as a bug but I need to ensure that I can repeat the issue for the developers.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Yasin Acilan August 5, 2019

Same problem but still a bug. I think the guys in the dev should do some work. Excel file was edited and saved but when I want to update the document Step5 is occuring as Jiří Huml described it. Please fix it!!!! Thanks.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2019

Yasin,

Please contact our Cloud Support Team directly and provide them the details of your Cloud instance, and they will be able to determine the cause for your issue.

You can let us know in this thread here once the issue is resolved so we know what the cause was.

Regards,

Shannon

Cristin Balog November 14, 2019

I have the same problem (except that my document is in Powerpoint).  

I get this dialog, which says the new version is fully saved, but the Update button is grayed out so I cannot save it.

waiting to update.png

What are my options?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 20, 2019

Hello Cristin,

Thank you for letting us know you were getting a similar message. I checked Yasin's ticket with support, and it turned out to be a local permissions issue. Yasin did not have the correct permissions to write and update the document. Their admin was able to give them the correct permissions, and everything started working. 

Could you please confirm that you have the correct permissions? You should be able to both update and view the page. If you still have trouble after confirming the permissions, I would then advise you to raise a ticket as I recommended to Yasin. If you have any trouble with that or are not able to create a support ticket, please let me know; I can help you out.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events