Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Companion App Issues Editing MS Excel Docs

Brett Williams November 30, 2018

I was wondering if anyone else was having issues with editing MS Excel docs with the Companion App?  A specific example that we have been running into is editing Excel docs with locked fields.  It throws an "Excel cannot open the file 'Example.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid.....".  

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2018

Hi Brett,

I'd like to test this out myself and see if I can replicate it. Could you tell me your Confluence and Microsoft Office versions?

Can you confirm that you are still able to edit Excel documents without locked fields? This sort of error can be seen if you're using an SSO with Confluence as well.

Regards,

Shannon

Brett Williams December 10, 2018

Hi Shannon,

We are currently on Confluence version 6.11.2 and Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus version 1811.  Now that I attempt to edit other Excel docs I'm finding that I'm getting this error across the board.  We have had some cases of other users getting this error from time to time but not consistently with all Excel attachments.  I checked with a few other users and it now seems that we are all getting this error across the board, any thoughts on what could be happening?  Thank you!

Shreya Rawal December 12, 2018

Hi Shannon and Brett, we're also running into the same issue. We are using SSO for authentication. Do you have any solution for instances with SSO?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2018

@Brett Williams,

Thank you for confirming. If locked fields don't cause the issue, and you are using SSO, then I believe you ran into this bug:

• CONFSERVER-56444 Edit in App does not work when Confluence is integrated with Crowd SSO

@Shreya Rawal this may be the same bug you're running into.

The issue has since been resolved in Confluence versions 6.13.0 and 6.12.2.

Can you make sure your Confluence instances are running at least those versions and let us know if you still have the issue?

If you are NOT using SSO, please let me know, as it might be a different issue.

Shannon

Shreya Rawal December 13, 2018

Thanks, Shannon. We're running 6.12. We were able to get it to work with our SSO  layer.

Like Shannon S likes this
LOVE CHOPRA March 8, 2019

@Sally Smith, Can you advise how you fixed this issue? I am also facing the same.

michael-r-holmes April 24, 2019

We are seeing an issue that matches this description since upgrading to 6.13.3.  We have been unable to confirm if SSO is the issue as we cannot get the companion app to run.

blwill April 24, 2019

Unfortunately I won't be any help as once we upgraded Confluence to v6.12.2 the issue was resolved for us.  Currently we're on v6.15 and no issues noted.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events