Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colors in Pasted Cells from Open Office

Pranjal Shukla December 4, 2015

An engineer pasted a table from Open Office Excel sheet that had colors, the colors got reproduced correctly and he could save the page. However, after some time when he tried pasting another table with colors from the same sheet, it did not work.

My question: Editor does not support Copy/Paste of cells with colors from Excel sheet (Table gets created without cell colors), how come it worked this time?? Attached is the snapshot of the table.

Colors.png

3 answers

0 votes
Pranjal Shukla December 6, 2015

image2015-12-7 9:33:44.png

@Steven Behnke...Have a look at the snapshot here.

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2015

I'll play around with Excel later. What that means is valid format was pasted into the confluence editor. Since the editor is based on Web standards, valid styles and structure just render in a browser. Confluence doesn't stop it, it doesn't strip out formatting unless it's specifically looking for it (via Javascript and also during the save page operation) I'm not sure what version of Excel apparently works but something produced acceptable xml formatting and it looks like that. ;)

Shouldn't Atlassian look into it if this is happening? @Support Dashboard This is for you.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2015

There is no "bug" here, possibly some behavior improvements. It's strange but really to be expected. I'm just wondering what improvement could be made. Still not sure what version of excel does this. Any chance you could upload a sanitized version of the xls file or specify the versions/os of your excel clients? I'm morbidly curious which spreadsheet editor uses compatible formatting.

0 votes

Rendering the excel is ok...however this was just a copy and paste from excel. I am also not sure how colours got populated exactly the same in confluence.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2015

I don't understand how that's possible. Show me it in edit mode. Do you have the page source editor installed?

That's Strange. No, we do not have page source editor installed. Attached is the snapshot of the edit mode.

0 votes
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2015

If you attach the excel file to the document, it will render the settings. Pasting the excel table as a new table in Confluence won't work as Confluence supports only simple wiki tables.

You can also accomplish this with raw HTML but that's a poor way of working with Confluence.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events