Chrome Version 45.0.2454.85 m crashes displaying Confluence pages with Gliffy Diagrams

We are seeing this issue since a couple of days. Chrome (Version 45.0.2454.85 m) crashes (Aw, snap...) while displaying a Confluence page. First, the page appears to load correctly and content is being shown, but after a few seconds, Chrome crashes. The same pages show fine with IE. 

Some pages are affected, while others are not - it looks pretty random to us. This may be related to Gliffy, since all of the pages showing the behavior have Gliffy diagrams. There are however pages with Gliffy diagrams showing fine.

Confluence is version 5.8.10, Gliffy is version 6.7.1. We had the same issue with Confluence 5.7 last week and were hoping to see the update resolve the issue, but no.

This is causing quite some issues here. Has anyone has seen this too? Anyone has a fix or workaround (other than using IE)?

35 answers

Hi Everyone,

We are tracking this problem in the following JIRA issue: https://jira.gliffy.com/browse/GCONF-2219

This problem only affects 32-bit Chrome 45 and 46 users on Windows.

OSX users, and users of other browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari) don't seem to be affected. If you are not a Chrome 45 user on Windows and you are affected, please let us know here or via email (support@gliffy.com).

As a workaround you can use IE, Firefox, or 64-bit Chrome until this is resolved. Alternatively, if you only need to view Gliffy diagrams, you can disable the HTML5 viewer in the Gliffy Configuration page (as mentioned by another user above). We're still investigating in order to confirm that's the case.

Finally, if you have any other questions or feedback for us, please don't hesitate to send us a note: support@gliffy.com

Regards,
Mike
Gliffy, Inc. 

UPDATE: The Chrome bug seems to have propagated into the upcoming 46 release, and we are still working hard on a solution. We will notify everyone here and in our JIRA issue (https://jira.gliffy.com/browse/GCONF-2219) as soon as we have a fix ready.

Thanks for the information!

UPDATE: we're still working on the problem. There are two bug filed with the Google Chromium team, located here: * https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=538241 * https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=523919 Unfortunately they are not accessible to the public, and have also become hidden to our developers. We will monitor the situation and keep everyone updated here.

UPDATE: it appears that Chrome 46.0.2490.80 has resolved the problem. If you are still affected then try upgrading to that version.

For me Chrome 46.0.2490.80 is not working. Only the first few pages...

46.0.2490.80 m didn't resolve the problem at first but then I updated Gliffy to 6.8.0 and now it seems to work.

Yes, 46.0.2490.80 m AND 6.8.0 is working for now.

This was fixed when Chrome released their update: http://support.gliffy.com/entries/96400607--Aw-Snap-errors-in-the-Chrome-browser. Please see that article for further troubleshooting steps.

Same.

Oddly, if the Chrome debug window is open (F12) before loading a page with a Gliffy diagram, then the page seems to load correctly. Timing issue?

Chrome Version 45.0.2454.85 m

Confluence 5.7.3

Gliffy  6.7.1

Malcolm, I found the same workaround. :)

Thank you, this temporary solution worked well. Bizarre!

I´m using this workaround without any problem!

I noticed this problem as well. Chrome version 45.0.2454.85 m

Was able to resolve this issue by disabling the Google Docs extensions in Chrome and clearing the cache. 

This worked for me. Chrome 45.0.2454.101 m. Confluence 5.8.8.

Chrome Version 45.0.2454.93 m seems to work well!

For us it works so far.

For me, after update it work for one time. Entering the same space crashed the browser and even browser restart did not help.

46.0.2490.33 (beta) has fixed the issue.  Also agree, debugging mode on 45.0.2* works fine and you can minimize it.

Confluence: 5.8.10

Gliffy: 6.7.1

As a work around ... I believe disabling the HTML5 viewer in the Gliffy settings (you need to be an administrator), will allow you to view the pages again...

This worked for all of our user base that were reporting the crashing issue on Confluence 5.8.4 with the recently updated Gliffy 6.7.1 and Chrome 45.0.2454.85 m. Great Find

My user base report this as working if the "Disable HTML5 Viewer" is checked

To me it looks like the crash happens when Gliffy switches from the bitmap-preview to the HTML5 view. Disabling the HTML5 viewer in Gliffy's settings removes the crash - we only get the bitmaps then, which makes the page at least accessible.

So this must be something with Gliffy and Chrome. Is there anything I can provide to help analyze the root cause?

Same here.

Had contact with Gliffy and they replied that it is probably a Chrome issue, but they are currently still investigating.

But there is hope! In the upcoming releases of Chrome the issue does not occur, so you could use Chrome Canary or another browser in the meantime.

For more information also see the following ticket:

https://jira.gliffy.com/browse/GCONF-2219

We figured out that the 64bit version of Google chrome is not affected by this issue.

You can check your version in the menu > Help and About > About Google Chrome.

We are currently using Version 45.0.2454.99 m (64-bit) with success! 

When you don't have (64 bit) behind your browser you can do the following:

1. Go to https://www.google.nl/intl/en/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html
  2. Click Download Chrome for another platform
  3. Click to download for Windows 10/8/7 64-bit
  4. Uninstall Google Chrome (32 bit version must first be uninstalled to install 64 bit version)
  5. Install the 64-bit version
  6. Confluence and gliffy should be working again smile!

Hope this helps someone, if you have other findings let me know.

As a user i'm hitting this problem on Chrome 45 32-bits on Windows.

As a former Chrome developer I can suggest a few things to help you report this bug to Google.

1. Report this crash to Chrome. You can do so by filing a crash report. Or after a crash you can go to about:crashes to find the crash ID and file a bug in crbug.com.
  2. You can also download chromium and put a windbg to capture the stack trace.

0 vote

Hi M.S.!

I tried to reproduce this with the same version of Chrome and Confluence, but was not able to. This seems really specific... Do you have any other plugins you suspect of? Have you tried running Chrome with the extensions disabled?

Thanks,

-- Bruno

Please note that if you are using Chrome on a non-Windows platform OR have Chrome developer tools engaged, the bug will not happen

We're seeing this today after upgrading to 6.7.1 of Gliffy. We had also updated Scroll Office and Team Calendars.

Confluence 5.7.3

Gliffy Version: 6.7.1

We had previously had issues with "Aw, Snap!" messages due to the "Confluence Chat" addon, but this is disabled currently.

Same deal, and I removed the Gliffy diagrams to resolve the issue proving fault with the diagrams (or something in Chrome that doesn't like them).

Details:

• Chrome Version 45.0.2454.85 m
  • Confluence Version 5.7.1
  • I don't have access to the Gliffy version right now

Loading a page in Chrome gives a short period of one second, maybe two, while the page loads. Once the Gliffy image loads, the page crashes.

Now I've written all this, it's working again. None of the computers were rebooted or updated in this period, so I believe the issue was 100% offsite (for us). 

It still happens in some cases. We found: - A temporary workaround is clearing in chrome privacy settings: plugin data, cached files and hosted app data. -Editing a Gliffy diagram still crashes on Chrome when opening the diagram editor. I'm not sure if the above works in this case. -We deactivated HTML5 compatibility as the code does not use the latest Google/Chrome libraries. This seemed to work in some cases.

We just had reports that the Gliffy editor appears to crash Chrome as well. There is no workaround for that ...

Hi,

Having the same problem with pages that have Gliffy diagrams and also with Gliffy editor.

• Chrome Version 45.0.2454.85 m
  • Confluence Version 5.5.6
  • Gliffy 6.7.1

Same here

Confluence 5.8.9

Chrome Version 45.0.2454.85

Gliffy 6.7.1

Chrome Crashes whenever a page with gliffy  is loaded 

Using Chrome Version 45.0.2454.101 m the pages did not crash anymore.

Editing exist some gliffy macros and adding second gliffy macro does not crush anymore! But adding first gliffy macro in a page is still crush. Confluence v5.5.7 Chrome Version 45.0.2454.101 m Gliffy v6.7.1

Same here.

After upgrade to gliffy 6.7.1 it crashes with chrome 45.0

Also with old and new confluence versions!

The activation of incognito mode or developer tools in chrome help to load the page without crash.

Can confirm that it happens here as well.

Confluence 5.8.8
Gliffy Plugin 6.7.0

Same thing here also. After updated to gliffy 6.7.1 chrome crashes every time when page has gliffy diagram.

Chrome ver. 45.0.2454.85 m

Confluence 5.7.0

Gliffy 6.7.1

A temporary workaround is clearing in chrome privacy settings: plugin data, cached files and hosted app data. Though problem will occur again in 1-3hours after doing this.

Same here.

Confluence: 5.7

Gliffy 6.7.0

Chrome version  45.0.2454.85 m

A workaround is to view / edit gliffy diagrams with the Chrome devtools engaged.

Same issue here.

Confluence 5.8.10

Gliffy 6.7.1

Chrome 45.0.2454.85m

As it seems the issue also affects 6.7.0, has anyone tried downgrading Gliffy to 6.6.4?

Have tested the downgrade to 6.6.4 in a staging environment using Confluence 5.7 and that version doesn't seem to have conflicts with Chrome.

same here with Confluence 5.8.9 , Gliffy 6.7.0 did not solve it, 6.6.4 did

Version 45.0.2454.93 m
Still not working.

Yes you are right.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

384 views 17 9
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you