Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome Version 45.0.2454.85 m crashes displaying Confluence pages with Gliffy Diagrams

M_S_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2015

We are seeing this issue since a couple of days. Chrome (Version 45.0.2454.85 m) crashes (Aw, snap...) while displaying a Confluence page. First, the page appears to load correctly and content is being shown, but after a few seconds, Chrome crashes. The same pages show fine with IE. 

Some pages are affected, while others are not - it looks pretty random to us. This may be related to Gliffy, since all of the pages showing the behavior have Gliffy diagrams. There are however pages with Gliffy diagrams showing fine.

Confluence is version 5.8.10, Gliffy is version 6.7.1. We had the same issue with Confluence 5.7 last week and were hoping to see the update resolve the issue, but no.

This is causing quite some issues here. Has anyone has seen this too? Anyone has a fix or workaround (other than using IE)?

35 answers

12 votes
Mike Cialowicz September 8, 2015

Hi Everyone,

We are tracking this problem in the following JIRA issue: https://jira.gliffy.com/browse/GCONF-2219

This problem only affects 32-bit Chrome 45 and 46 users on Windows.

OSX users, and users of other browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari) don't seem to be affected. If you are not a Chrome 45 user on Windows and you are affected, please let us know here or via email (support@gliffy.com).

As a workaround you can use IE, Firefox, or 64-bit Chrome until this is resolved. Alternatively, if you only need to view Gliffy diagrams, you can disable the HTML5 viewer in the Gliffy Configuration page (as mentioned by another user above). We're still investigating in order to confirm that's the case.

Finally, if you have any other questions or feedback for us, please don't hesitate to send us a note: support@gliffy.com

Regards,
Mike
Gliffy, Inc. 

Mike Cialowicz September 29, 2015

UPDATE: The Chrome bug seems to have propagated into the upcoming 46 release, and we are still working hard on a solution. We will notify everyone here and in our JIRA issue (https://jira.gliffy.com/browse/GCONF-2219) as soon as we have a fix ready.

Susanne Harelius [Riada]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2015

Thanks for the information!

Mike Cialowicz October 21, 2015

UPDATE: we're still working on the problem. There are two bug filed with the Google Chromium team, located here: * https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=538241 * https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=523919 Unfortunately they are not accessible to the public, and have also become hidden to our developers. We will monitor the situation and keep everyone updated here.

Mike Cialowicz October 22, 2015

UPDATE: it appears that Chrome 46.0.2490.80 has resolved the problem. If you are still affected then try upgrading to that version.

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2015

For me Chrome 46.0.2490.80 is not working. Only the first few pages...

Jarno Ahola October 22, 2015

46.0.2490.80 m didn't resolve the problem at first but then I updated Gliffy to 6.8.0 and now it seems to work.

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2015

Yes, 46.0.2490.80 m AND 6.8.0 is working for now.

Gliffy November 11, 2015

This was fixed when Chrome released their update: http://support.gliffy.com/entries/96400607--Aw-Snap-errors-in-the-Chrome-browser. Please see that article for further troubleshooting steps.

6 votes
marorkaconnect September 7, 2015

Same.

Oddly, if the Chrome debug window is open (F12) before loading a page with a Gliffy diagram, then the page seems to load correctly. Timing issue?

Chrome Version 45.0.2454.85 m

Confluence 5.7.3

Gliffy  6.7.1

Epsilon September 9, 2015

Malcolm, I found the same workaround. :)

SamuelM October 1, 2015

Can confirm!

Alex K October 26, 2015

Thank you, this temporary solution worked well. Bizarre!

Juan Manuel Garrido November 2, 2015

I´m using this workaround without any problem!

2 votes
Chris Sannini September 17, 2015

46.0.2490.33 (beta) has fixed the issue.  Also agree, debugging mode on 45.0.2* works fine and you can minimize it.

Confluence: 5.8.10

Gliffy: 6.7.1

2 votes
Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2015

Chrome Version 45.0.2454.93 m seems to work well!

For us it works so far.

Henrik Siiskonen September 16, 2015

For me, after update it work for one time. Entering the same space crashed the browser and even browser restart did not help.

2 votes
Wes Gray September 9, 2015

I noticed this problem as well. Chrome version 45.0.2454.85 m

Was able to resolve this issue by disabling the Google Docs extensions in Chrome and clearing the cache. 

Albert Chang October 2, 2015

This worked for me. Chrome 45.0.2454.101 m. Confluence 5.8.8.

1 vote
Alpha Lam October 5, 2015

As a user i'm hitting this problem on Chrome 45 32-bits on Windows.

As a former Chrome developer I can suggest a few things to help you report this bug to Google.

1. Report this crash to Chrome. You can do so by filing a crash report. Or after a crash you can go to about:crashes to find the crash ID and file a bug in crbug.com.
  2. You can also download chromium and put a windbg to capture the stack trace.

1 vote
Joris Voermans September 22, 2015

We figured out that the 64bit version of Google chrome is not affected by this issue.

You can check your version in the menu > Help and About > About Google Chrome.

We are currently using Version 45.0.2454.99 m (64-bit) with success! 

When you don't have (64 bit) behind your browser you can do the following:

1. Go to https://www.google.nl/intl/en/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html
  2. Click Download Chrome for another platform
  3. Click to download for Windows 10/8/7 64-bit
  4. Uninstall Google Chrome (32 bit version must first be uninstalled to install 64 bit version)
  5. Install the 64-bit version
  6. Confluence and gliffy should be working again smile!

Hope this helps someone, if you have other findings let me know.

1 vote
Joris Voermans September 10, 2015

Same here.

Had contact with Gliffy and they replied that it is probably a Chrome issue, but they are currently still investigating.

But there is hope! In the upcoming releases of Chrome the issue does not occur, so you could use Chrome Canary or another browser in the meantime.

For more information also see the following ticket:

https://jira.gliffy.com/browse/GCONF-2219

1 vote
Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2015

With chrome 46 beta it works! 

https://www.google.de/chrome/browser/beta.html

Mike Cialowicz September 9, 2015

Available here for English-speaking users: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/beta.html

1 vote
M_S_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2015

To me it looks like the crash happens when Gliffy switches from the bitmap-preview to the HTML5 view. Disabling the HTML5 viewer in Gliffy's settings removes the crash - we only get the bitmaps then, which makes the page at least accessible.

So this must be something with Gliffy and Chrome. Is there anything I can provide to help analyze the root cause?

1 vote
justin.richards@bluepackets.com.au September 7, 2015

As a work around ... I believe disabling the HTML5 viewer in the Gliffy settings (you need to be an administrator), will allow you to view the pages again...

Justin Derrick September 10, 2015

This worked for all of our user base that were reporting the crashing issue on Confluence 5.8.4 with the recently updated Gliffy 6.7.1 and Chrome 45.0.2454.85 m. Great Find

Dana Johnson September 10, 2015

My user base report this as working if the "Disable HTML5 Viewer" is checked

0 votes
Mike Cialowicz November 12, 2015

UPDATE: Good news! We've received an update from the Chrome development team: "After two days of debugging, I'm happy to report that we have identified and fixed a crash bug that was triggered by Gliffy's code. The fix will likely ship in Chrome Canary on Monday, and will then trickle down to other channels. I'm not sure if Chrome 46 will get another update; 47 and later will definitely get the fix."

0 votes
Gliffy November 11, 2015

The issue was corrected when Chrome released their update: http://support.gliffy.com/entries/96400607--Aw-Snap-errors-in-the-Chrome-browser. Please see that article for additional troubleshooting steps.

0 votes
Steve Krueger November 10, 2015

It is happening to me on 46.0.2490 m if I uninstall and reinstall chrome it seems to work for a while. It stopped working again for me when I activated the Gliffy plug in for Chrome. We also have the on demand gliffy that is crashing.

0 votes
David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2015

Same for 47.0.2526.21 beta-m and Gliffy 6.8.0 - currently working.

0 votes
Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2015

Yes, 46.0.2490.80 m AND 6.8.0 is working for now.

0 votes
Mike Cialowicz October 22, 2015

Looks like Chrome 46.0.2490.80 may have resolved the problem. We have tried on several different machines with that version, and non exhibit the issue.

0 votes
David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2015

An update - Chrome 47.0.2526.16 beta-m still exhibits this behaviour.

0 votes
Jarno Ahola October 21, 2015

Same problem with Chrome version 46.0.2490.71 m

Rob Leonard October 22, 2015

Confirming that many in my company saw the issues starting with Chrome 45.x and are still seeing it in 46.0.2490.71 m. It appears the issue only occurs (or mostly occurs?) on pages with Gliffy diagrams.

Rob Leonard October 27, 2015

Upgraded to Gliffy 6.8.0 and the issues went away. NOTE: this is across several different Chrome versions and I did NOT need to upgrade to Chrome 46.0.2490.80 m.

0 votes
David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 28, 2015

Win 32, Confluence 5.6.6, Gliffy 6.7.1, Chrome Version 46.0.2490.42 beta-m still has this problem. I am able to view one or two Confluence documents with Gliffy diagrams successfully, but as soon as one crashes the page, all following attempts do the same for any document that contains a Gliffy diagram.

0 votes
akiko_pusu September 17, 2015

@Joey Corea Thanks for your workaround!

0 votes
Maciek Brynski September 16, 2015

Version 45.0.2454.93 m
Still not working.

Dirk Bromberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2015

Yes you are right.

Fred Deschenes September 16, 2015

Same here

0 votes
Antonio Cerezo Iglesias September 14, 2015

Have tested the downgrade to 6.6.4 in a staging environment using Confluence 5.7 and that version doesn't seem to have conflicts with Chrome.

Chriz September 15, 2015

same here with Confluence 5.8.9 , Gliffy 6.7.0 did not solve it, 6.6.4 did

0 votes
Antonio Cerezo Iglesias September 13, 2015

Same issue here.

Confluence 5.8.10

Gliffy 6.7.1

Chrome 45.0.2454.85m

As it seems the issue also affects 6.7.0, has anyone tried downgrading Gliffy to 6.6.4?

0 votes
joeycorea September 9, 2015

A workaround is to view / edit gliffy diagrams with the Chrome devtools engaged.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events