Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Changing and deleting page owners ( not answered yet)

before I ask the question, 

Solved: How to change the owner / author of a page in Conf... (atlassian.com)

doesn't actually give the answer in my opinion. 

and neither does Solved: How to change the original author of a page? (atlassian.com)

So today in 2021 without installing yet another application, piece of software, or running complicated SQL, is there a user friendly way to change / delete the ownership of a space or page? 

thanks for your patience. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Ok, there's two things to look at here, page author and page ownership.

You have a page that was created by someone, the original author of the page.  What reason do you have for destroying the information about who the original author was?  This would actually be a bad thing to do, and in some cases, possibly illegal (compliance, audit and even copyright law may apply).

Page ownership is different.  The author of a page is usually not the owner, and the ownership is fine to change.  Most of us will assume the owner of a page is simply the owner(s) of the space the page is in, or anyone who has edit rights to it.  Individual ownership is not stored in Confluence, it's up to the owners of the system to define the ownership rules.

Because the author has left the company, their details are no longer valid. However the owners too also leave. 

which leaves me with my original question. 

The information is still pertinent but if there is no owner then no one is responsible for it's upkeep. 

I am amazed to imagine that copyright law applies in a wiki where absolutely anyone can edit absolutely anything. 

You're missing the point here.  The author of a page should never be changed.  You don't need to change it.

The owner, yep, fine, but the author is not the owner (especially if they've left!), and the owner of pages is not explicitly captured in Confluence.

Copyright law looks quite complex, but the basics are very simple - you wrote it, you own the copyright on it  You can (and, if you're writing for someone, as part of your job, probably have to) give away your copyright to other owners, and you can choose to give up your right to be identified as the author.  But the fact you authored it does not change.  It doesn't matter that anyone can edit it (because you don't own it), you're still the author of it.

So, I come back to the question - what benefit is there in destroying the information that a person wrote the original?  What do you gain from that?

My point is that in our confluence, we have people who have left the company and pages show, created by unknown user.. because the person and their details are no longer in the wiki I suppose?

We have tables on pages with similar information , in curly brackets. 

One of my roles is to get rid of that stuff. Or at least pass it on to someone else who might be able to update, or re-create the page and become the 'creator' and owner of that page while I would archive the other one. 

I appreciate the conversation on copyright, but that's not the focus of my question. It's how to clean up defunct and useless information on site. The right and wrong of it, is for me to grapple with. :) 

Yes, you're right.

The (unknown user) thing is one of the reasons the standing recommendation for Atlassian systems is never to delete users, just disable them, so you can still see the author.

Confluence still has the unique identifier for the user in the database, it's not lost it.

If you're getting rid of the pages, why is there a need to change the author? 

The same still stands if you're just going to repurpose or even just leave the page as it is.  What benefit is there in changing the original author?  You can see it was written by someone who has left.  There's no reason to change that. You may even cause problems with "well, you wrote the page", "no I didn't, the history is lying to you, someone who has left wrote it and I'm being blamed now".

Yes, on the copyright thing, it's just one of the reasons you probably don't want to be changing authors.  It's not important to your case.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Confluence Cloud

🏠 Say hello to the new Confluence Home!

Hi Atlassian Community, My name is DJ Chung, and I’m a Product Manager on the Confluence Cloud team. Today, I’m excited to share a new and improved version of Home. The new Home helps you ...

43,613 views 33 135
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you