Cannot move past database install step with MySQL

Trevor Steen October 31, 2017

I am working on migrating my database from Postgres to MySQL.  I am at the point where I am re-installing Confluence and I get to the step where I choose the database type (MySQL).  It warns me that I need the ODBC driver.  The instructions indicate that this will happen and that I can ignore the error.  The problem is that I cannot bypass or skip the error. Clicking next goes nowhere.  I have confirmed I have the file in the proper directory (/opt/atlassian/confluence-mysql/confluence/WEB-INF/lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.44-bin.jar).

I was following the directions here, Step 8.3 is where I am having the issue. here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf64/database-setup-for-mysql-936511512.html

Any ideas?

2 answers

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

I understand you have the mysql JDBC driver file in the <Confluence installation> /confluence/WEB-INF/lib folder but the setup wizard appears to hang when you click next to set up the database.

Is it possible that the database tables are being set up when the installation appears to be going nowhere? That step can take a few minutes to complete. Does the browser say "waiting for server" after you click Next?

Thanks for the response. There is no indication that the server is waiting for something.  I let it sit for a few hours and it still won't go past the warning.

The database I set up is still empty so it does not appear that there is anything going on in the background.

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2017

That's good to know, thank you.

Is there any way the permissions are restricted on that one driver file since you had to copy it over? Maybe its there but the user running Confluence doesn't have permission to see it?

Checked, it has the same permissions as all the other driver files in  that directory.  

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   999635 Oct 31 09:21 mysql-connector-java-5.1.44-bin.jar

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
October 31, 2017

Please see Confluence does not start due to Spring Application context has not been set. It's a different error but it has some good guidelines for installing Confluence:

Do not run Confluence as root, and ensure that the user running Confluence has full read and write access to the home folder. This can be set by running chmod -R with the appropriate permissions, to apply them recursively to each sub folder. An example of the right permissions would be:
chown -R confluence.confluence <confluence-install-folder>
chown -R confluence.confluence <confluence-home-folder>
chmod -R u=rwx,go-rwx <confluence-install-folder>
chmod -R u=rwx,go-rwx <confluence-home-folder>

(info) The user confluence is only a suggestion. You can change it for another username.

• Please tail the log at <confluence_home>/logs/atlassian-confluence.log during the setup wizard and see if there are any helpful errors.
0 votes

Annnnnddd I'm dumb. Firewall issues. 

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
November 1, 2017

Thanks for the follow up. Firewall issues can be tricky!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events