Cannot login following upgrade - Permissions Error

Mervyn Fealy December 2, 2013

Hi there,

When I log in as Admin user I am getting a permissions error following successful login. The error I am seeing is as folows:

Not Permitted

You are not permitted to perform this operation.

We are currently using Confluence 3.1 which was upgraded from Confluence 2.10.

We have migrated our Application Server from Weblogic in Confluence 2.10 to Apache Tomcat in Confluence 3.1.

To provide more clarity:

We have upgraded our two node database cluster in this environment from Oracle 10.2.0.4 to Oracle 11.2.0.1 RAC. The database was restored from a backup taken within our Production environment which is currently running Confluence 2.10.

I am also seeing the following error, which is related to the Apdaptavist plugin:

Unable to render content due to system error: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.adaptavist.confluence.builder.macros.LogoMacro': Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/atlassian/confluence/util/ResourceManager

However I cannot perform any edits to my Confluence site as a result of the Permissions error.

Regards,

Mervyn

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2013

There are two errors here. The adaptavist one is likely to be due to incompatible versions (upgrade the plugin)

The not permitted error is due to broken permissions. You'll need to look at the user's groups and settings and compare them with the general global permissions

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have instructions on how to compare the user groups and settings with the general global permissions without any admin access to Confluence?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2013

Oh, heck, no, you can't do this. You'll need to fix the admin account access first.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Restoring+Passwords+To+Recover+Admin+User+Rights details how to get admin access back.

I followed the documentation provided and replaced one of the administrators passwords using the steps listed in the documentation.

The password updated successfully. However when I attempt to log in into my Confluence site I receive the following error:

"Sorry, your username and password are incorrect. Please try again."

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2013

Ok. Did you have Confluence offline when you did the SQL change?

Also, what authentication method are you using? Internal? Crowd, LDAP etc?

And finally, what does your log say when you try to log in?

Mervyn Fealy December 3, 2013

Yes, I had Confluence offline when I performed any SQL changes.

We are using LDAP as our authentication method in this environment. However the snapshot we used to restore our Database is taken from a Production system which uses SSO as it's authentication method. I am not sure whether this will have an impact on our login permissions problem.

Here is the Stack Trace taken from the 'atlassian-confluence.log' file.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2013

Hmm. Ok, so your LDAP doesn't match your SSO. That could be interesting.

However, start with the LDAP. Are you 100% sure that the LDAP account you are using is valid? Can you log into other LDAP connected systems with that username and password?

Mervyn Fealy December 15, 2013

Apologies, I failed to respond to this. I managed to find an admin user with sufficient prvileges to login. From here I was able to alter the user groups which allowed all admin users access to my Confluence site.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events