Cannot Start Confluence

I'm trying to start Confluence and am getting this error:

Using Java: /opt/atlassian/confluence/jre//bin/java
[Fatal Error] server.xml:41:52: Attribute "scheme" was already specified for element "Connector".
[Fatal Error] server.xml:41:52: Attribute "scheme" was already specified for element "Connector".
Attribute "scheme" was already specified for element "Connector".
Attribute "scheme" was already specified for element "Connector".
2017-10-04 00:19:42,592 INFO [main] [atlassian.confluence.bootstrap.SynchronyProxyWatchdog] The Confluence context path is empty. No further action is required.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using CATALINA_BASE: /opt/atlassian/confluence
Using CATALINA_HOME: /opt/atlassian/confluence
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/confluence/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /opt/atlassian/confluence/jre/
Using CLASSPATH: /opt/atlassian/confluence/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/confluence/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID: /opt/atlassian/confluence/work/catalina.pid
Existing PID file found during start.
Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Tomcat started.

Help! I cant access my Confluence

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Joe,

Have you modified your server.xml file at all from the original configuration? It appears there's an issue with the way it is configured.

Can you look at it and find anything that starts with <Connector? Please share that with us and we can see what the issue might be.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

I did modify server.xml when I was trying to get confluence to work to https

Can you send me an orginal unedited server.xml?

This widget could not be displayed.

Nevermind I restored a backup. Now I'm getting this error:

HTTP Status 500 - java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/atlassian/confluence/webapps/../confluence/WEB-INF/lib/confluence-rpc-plugin-6.4.1.jar (No such file or directory)

type Exception report

message java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/atlassian/confluence/webapps/../confluence/WEB-INF/lib/confluence-rpc-plugin-6.4.1.jar (No such file or directory)

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/atlassian/confluence/webapps/../confluence/WEB-INF/lib/confluence-rpc-plugin-6.4.1.jar (No such file or directory)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.AbstractSingleArchiveResourceSet.getArchiveEntry(AbstractSingleArchiveResourceSet.java:97)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.AbstractArchiveResourceSet.getResource(AbstractArchiveResourceSet.java:260)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getResourceInternal(StandardRoot.java:281)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource(Cache.java:62)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getResource(StandardRoot.java:216)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getClassLoaderResource(StandardRoot.java:225)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.findResourceInternal(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:2633)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.findClassInternal(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:2470)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.findClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:859)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1302)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1167)
 com.atlassian.confluence.tenant.TenantGateFilter.doFilter(TenantGateFilter.java:39)
 com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
 com.atlassian.confluence.internal.web.filter.spring.IgnoreWebAsyncManagerFilter.doFilter(IgnoreWebAsyncManagerFilter.java:59)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.validateparam.RequestParamValidationFilter.doFilter(RequestParamValidationFilter.java:51)
 com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.TranslationModeFilter.doFilter(TranslationModeFilter.java:39)
 com.atlassian.confluence.plugin.servlet.filter.ActionContextCleanUp.doFilter(ActionContextCleanUp.java:72)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.LanguageExtractionFilter.doFilter(LanguageExtractionFilter.java:49)
 com.atlassian.confluence.impl.vcache.VCacheRequestContextFilter.doFilter(VCacheRequestContextFilter.java:58)
 com.atlassian.confluence.util.LoggingContextFilter.doFilter(LoggingContextFilter.java:33)
 com.atlassian.confluence.util.RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.java:65)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.ZipkinTracingFilter.doFilter(ZipkinTracingFilter.java:54)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.ResponseOutputStreamFilter.doFilter(ResponseOutputStreamFilter.java:23)
 com.atlassian.johnson.filters.AbstractJohnsonFilter.doFilter(AbstractJohnsonFilter.java:72)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.ConfluenceJohnsonFilter.doFilter(ConfluenceJohnsonFilter.java:33)
 com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:41)
 com.atlassian.confluence.impl.servlet.HoldingUntilStartedFilter.doFilter(HoldingUntilStartedFilter.java:88)
 com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44)
 com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.doFilter(FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.java:64)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.DebugFilter.doFilter(DebugFilter.java:46)

root cause

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/atlassian/confluence/webapps/../confluence/WEB-INF/lib/confluence-rpc-plugin-6.4.1.jar (No such file or directory)
 java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
 java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:219)
 java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:149)
 java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:166)
 java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:103)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.AbstractArchiveResourceSet.openJarFile(AbstractArchiveResourceSet.java:308)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.AbstractSingleArchiveResourceSet.getArchiveEntry(AbstractSingleArchiveResourceSet.java:93)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.AbstractArchiveResourceSet.getResource(AbstractArchiveResourceSet.java:260)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getResourceInternal(StandardRoot.java:281)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource(Cache.java:62)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getResource(StandardRoot.java:216)
 org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getClassLoaderResource(StandardRoot.java:225)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.findResourceInternal(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:2633)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.findClassInternal(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:2470)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.findClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:859)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1302)
 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1167)
 com.atlassian.confluence.tenant.TenantGateFilter.doFilter(TenantGateFilter.java:39)
 com.atlassian.confluence.internal.web.filter.spring.IgnoreWebAsyncManagerFilter.doFilter(IgnoreWebAsyncManagerFilter.java:59)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.validateparam.RequestParamValidationFilter.doFilter(RequestParamValidationFilter.java:51)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.TranslationModeFilter.doFilter(TranslationModeFilter.java:39)
 com.atlassian.confluence.plugin.servlet.filter.ActionContextCleanUp.doFilter(ActionContextCleanUp.java:72)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.LanguageExtractionFilter.doFilter(LanguageExtractionFilter.java:49)
 com.atlassian.confluence.impl.vcache.VCacheRequestContextFilter.doFilter(VCacheRequestContextFilter.java:58)
 com.atlassian.confluence.util.LoggingContextFilter.doFilter(LoggingContextFilter.java:33)
 com.atlassian.confluence.util.RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.java:65)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.ZipkinTracingFilter.doFilter(ZipkinTracingFilter.java:54)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.ResponseOutputStreamFilter.doFilter(ResponseOutputStreamFilter.java:23)
 com.atlassian.johnson.filters.AbstractJohnsonFilter.doFilter(AbstractJohnsonFilter.java:72)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.ConfluenceJohnsonFilter.doFilter(ConfluenceJohnsonFilter.java:33)
 com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:41)
 com.atlassian.confluence.impl.servlet.HoldingUntilStartedFilter.doFilter(HoldingUntilStartedFilter.java:88)
 com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44)
 com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.doFilter(FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.java:64)
 com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.DebugFilter.doFilter(DebugFilter.java:46)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/8.0.43 logs.

Hi Joe,

Does the /opt/atlassian/confluence/webapps/../confluence/WEB-INF/lib/confluence-rpc-plugin-6.4.1.jar file exist, and does the Confluence user have access to execute it? 

Can you let me know what version of Confluence you are running?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

I just updated to the latest version to try fix the issue so 6.4.1 

However I am getting the SETUP page again. Can I skip this? When I try to enter my MYSQL connection info I get this error now:

Problem with MySQL storage engine

Your database needs to use InnoDB as the default storage engine.

How do I fix this

I checked and my tables are InnoDB. However this isnt detecting that

Joe,

Let's make sure to fix this issue first before we move onto the next, so we're not working with a moving target here. :)

The configuration isn't on the table level, it's on the database level, so here's how we can proceed:

1. Check your MySQL Configuration and verify this exact line exists:
    default-storage-engine=INNODB
  2. If not add it per our documentation here: Database setup for MySQL
  3. Stop and Start Confluence and MySQL Server.

Then let me know what errors you see so we can proceed.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Okay that fixed that. However now when it proceeds it says

Database Contains Existing Confluence Data

The following error(s) occurred:

• Confluence tables already exist in the selected database.

Confluence data already exists in the selected database. You can either overwrite the existing data or go back to the database selection page:

Restart Database Setup

I dont want to lose my previous data. Why do I need to do all this setup again. I just want to use my pre-exisitng DB info

What are the exact steps you took to upgrade? You should have been approached with a Upgrade an existing Confluence installation message upon setup.

Have a look at Upgrading Confluence for the full method.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Argh! I go to the restore DB page then I got an error. So I tried reinstalled 4.6.1 all over again. Now when I go to my Confluence URL http://104.251.216.34:9010/ I get this error! Help!

The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved from the container. Therefore very limited information is available in this error report. 
The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved due to the following error: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set

Cause

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
    at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)

caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
    at com.atlassian.spring.container.SpringContainerContext.getComponent(SpringContainerContext.java:48)

Stack Trace:[hide]

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Spring Application context has not been set
 at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
 at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.webwork.ConfluenceXWorkTransactionInterceptor.getTransactionManager(ConfluenceXWorkTransactionInterceptor.java:28)
 at com.atlassian.xwork.interceptors.XWorkTransactionInterceptor.intercept(XWorkTransactionInterceptor.java:56)
 at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:165)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.xwork.SetupIncompleteInterceptor.intercept(SetupIncompleteInterceptor.java:38)
 at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionInvocation.invoke(DefaultActionInvocation.java:165)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.security.interceptors.SecurityHeadersInterceptor.intercept(SecurityHeadersInterceptor.java:39)
 at com.opensymphony.xwork.interceptor.AroundInterceptor.intercept(AroundInterceptor.java:35)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.actions.SetupCheckInterceptor.intercept(SetupCheckInterceptor.java:27)
 at com.opensymphony.xwork.DefaultActionProxy.execute(DefaultActionProxy.java:115)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.ConfluenceServletDispatcher.serviceAction(ConfluenceServletDispatcher.java:56)
 at com.opensymphony.webwork.dispatcher.ServletDispatcher.service(ServletDispatcher.java:199)
 at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:292)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
 at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
 at com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.DebugFilter.doFilter(DebugFilter.java:46)
 at com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240)
 at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:64)
 at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleConta

Also note I deleted my database and recreated: app_confluence.

Can you remote in and help?

Joe,

Please try the solutions here:

Confluence does not start due to Spring Application Context has not been set.

It may be that your user doesn't have write permissions to the home directory you are using. It may be best to start from a fresh Confluence install, using a new home directory

I won't be able to remote into your computer but if you continue to have issues I may move this into a support case and help you from there. 

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 17, 2018 in Confluence

Why start from scratch? Introducing four new templates for Confluence Cloud

Hi my Community friends!  For those who don't know me, I'm a product marketer on the Confluence Cloud team - nice to meet you! For those of you who do, you know that I've been all up in your Co...

625 views 8 6
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you