Can you explain the difference between adding a new page from a template vs copying an existing page?

I'm looking for pros and cons of each way. thanks

1 answer

1 vote

A template will give you a fixed, pre set, block of data on the page for your users to begin editing with. The Pro is it makes it easy to encourage your users to standardise pages and save them time by pre-setting stuff they might find useful. There are no "cons" I can think of - if you don't want the pre-set stuff, don't use a template.

A copy will take the whole page, with all the current data, as the starting point. The Pro and the Con here is the data - do you really want to duplicate the whole lot? Is it the best starting point? If it is, then great. If it isn't, then look for a template instead.

So if I had a reason for creating some regular pages to be used as "templates" via page copies, and thereby I didn't include any data on the pages that would not generally be wanted on the copies, is there any downside vs using tempaltes other than that users will have to know to locate the pages so that they can copy them whereas with templates you don't have to locate them (i.e. they're listed with all the templates)?

Nope, that's what a template is for - to give guidance, and pre-fill stuff as much as possible.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Kesha Thillainayagam
Posted Apr 13, 2018 in Confluence

We want to hear how your non-technical teams are using Confluence!

Hi Community! Kesha (kay-sha) from the Confluence marketing team here! Can you share stories with us on how your non-technical (think Marketing, Sales, HR, legal, etc.) teams are using Confluen...

2,922 views 27 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you