Can the Office Word Macro's content be searchable/indexable?

Brian Wilson October 13, 2014

One of the critical parts of our transition from SharePoint to Confluence is having the ability to easily drop in existing Office documents, specifically Word, into Confluence. Using drag and drop, the Office Word Macro seems to nail this, but it appears the content is not indexed and doesn't show up in our search. 

Is this a limitation of the platform in general, something just with the Cloud version, or is there just a setting I'm missing as the administrator to enable the indexing of these word documents?

4 answers

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2014

Strange - well I don't know why it doesn't index on Cloud - but seems like it does (should) with server product.

We also support search like that with all same file formats if server product is integrated with Dropbox, Box, Egnyte, Alfresco, Google Drive (I.e., files still embedded - works similar to the office connector with remotely accessing files (yet feel native) and few more bells/whistles for file management) 

You could also get managed hosting if you evolve to server product which can take away the admin responsibility (on you) if that is what is most appealing with Cloud.. 

So you have some options...

0 votes
Brian Wilson October 14, 2014

@Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions] - Nope, this is strictly within the Confluence Cloud/OnDemand instance. The page is rendered correctly as text from the Office Word Macro, but the content is not indexed and therefore, not searchable.

0 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2014

According to the Office Connector Prerequisites page these are the types that are supported. These should all index as well. They index in my server install. Maybe this is just an OnDemand limitation, but I'm not sure as I don't use OnDemand. I know that even in the server version you do need to wait for the document to be indexed ... which sometimes takes a few minutes.

Confluence can display files compatible with Microsoft Office 97-2013, and PDF files, of the following types:

• .doc and .docx
  • .xls and .xlsx
  • .ppt and .pptx
  • .pdf
Brian Wilson October 14, 2014

Yup! The file in question is a .docx (we've also tried a .doc) and it generates the page and renders the text just dandy and exactly as we would hope, but it's not indexing the content at all, so searching for unique words inside the document are not working.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2014

Hmmm you're right. I created a trail instance so I could test it. Apparently it doesn't index in OnDemand ... either that or it is super slow. I wasn't able to find any way to change that.

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2014

Are you using Office 365?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events