Can't inspect permission for a user with no product access

Drew Nedderman May 20, 2021

We have Confluence Cloud Premium.

We have a public-facing knowledge base space.

We have users who were converted to Atlassian Accounts from Jira Service Management customers.

We have certain pages within the public-facing knowledge base space that are restricted to certain Groups.

The users do not have any product access (no license).

The users are in Groups and the Groups are allowed permission to view the restricted pages.

Why can't I inspect permission for a user who does not have product access?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hi @Drew Nedderman,

Essentially these users don't have access, except to spaces:

• you granted anonymous access to;
  • or that can be accessed through Jira Service Desk as a knowledge base space.

So even when certain groups of users have access to a space, if your users don't have a license and those spaces cannot be accessed anonymously, they won't be able to access that space.

Hope this helps! 

Hi, @Walter Buggenhout , thank you for the reply!

The users have access to the public-facing knowledge base space. It is set to allow anonymous access.

I originally needed to use the Inspect Permissions feature to troubleshoot why one of the users couldn't access a restricted page. I have since solved that issue. I logged in as the user in question and could view the restricted page as expected.

I think I would expect the Inspect Permissions feature to tell me if a user has access to the page even though they may not have product access. I failed to mention in my post, but the user I needed to inspect didn't even show up in the list of users to choose from.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

No indeed, @Drew Nedderman. And that is because he does not have access by not having a license. I you would expect to find a user in a space with anonymous access enabled, you should also be able to find me in there, for example. Or anyone else that has an email address or an Atlassian account somewhere in the world. That would be scary.

No, just kidding. I understand why you were hoping to find the user there (because he's in a group), but those groups are intended to manage known users with product access, not anonymous ones.

Thank you for the information!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events