Can't edit the space overview page

Colette Moran November 1, 2016

I currently cannot edit the Overview page on any of my spaces in Confluence.
I can edit subpage of the spaces no problem.

When on the overview page, if I tap the e shortcut key nothing happens, and when I click the ... menu button where the Edit button would normally be located I nothing, like the shadow of a drop down menu but no content (the attached screenshot shows what I'm seeing).

screenshot.20161101-121546.png

When I do hit e or the menu on any of the sub-pages it works properly and lets me edit the pages and see the full menu including the Edit option.
Whatever the problem is it's restricted to the overview pages.

No new add-ons have been added recently, and I was able to edit these pages within the last week.
I have full admin access to all the spaces and none of these pages are restricted.

I have tried this in both FireFox, Internet Explorer and Edge and I'm seeing the same behaviour in both.

I recently deleted some unused spaces but that's the only significant change and I don't see how that would effect anything.

7 answers

2 votes

As Patrick confirmed that it wasn't just me seeing this, I reported it to support.

They've responded that the Overview page is a new feature that's only available to some customers so far and it appears to be a problem with that, so they've deactivated it on my account.
So I'm back to the regular main page view, but I can edit the root pages again.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Colette

0 votes
Deleted user March 11, 2021

I know this is a long ago issue but I just ran into it and was looking for help. 

As I didn't find a solution here I wanted to post what worked for me. 

As a Confluence admin, I was able to check the permissions for the space which I couldn't edit the overview page. The space had two admins listed, me and the department leader for that space. Beside their name was " (Unregistered)" I think this is because the company had changed names and she was still listed as an admin under a pervious Confluence account. (???maybe???)

EDIT: It was because she got married and changed names.

I deleted her as an admin and re-added her account and set the permissions for her again. 

After saving I was again able to edit the page. 

0 votes
Michael Roberts August 26, 2017

Well, it's disappointing that I'm having the same problem 9 months later (in August 2017). Is there still no solution?

Michael Roberts August 26, 2017

Oops, the problem was my fault. I wasn't editing / publishing correctly.

0 votes
David Thompson November 3, 2016

The collaborative editing feature that was the big announcement for Confluence 6 seems to be the issue that was preventing us from doing any editing on any spaces.   We disabled that feature under Administration > Collaborative Editing by turning if off.  Everything is now fine.  In reading documentation on the feature, there is a port that needs to be open for this to work.  Great feature, but too much work it appears to actual get it to work.  Interested to hear of anyone running in-house that might have this issue resolved so that we could leverage this feature easily without having to edited ports or change server configurations.

Stephen Letch November 10, 2020

Hi, I know this is old but do you remember if it removed your edit button entirely? 

0 votes
Perry Tancredi November 2, 2016

I had the same problem and had to open a request to have Atlassian disable beta features on my account/our instance.

It is account related. Different users on the same browser will see different behavior. I had flipped the beta toggle about a month ago and I was the only one having the problem.

0 votes
Patrick van der Leeuw November 1, 2016

If have the same issues. I can't edit the overview/homepages of any space. I have full admin rights within confluence. 

Any suggestions?

image2016-11-1 14:47:53.png

image2016-11-1 14:48:25.png

image2016-11-1 14:49:55.png

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2016

The general rule of thumb when multiple people get a weird problem is that the problem is either the browser or the application.

Colette was using Firefox, and there's an issue regarding the Page Properties Report macro throwing an error with the latest version of Firefox.  This may be another issue with the browser.  If you use Firefox, try Chrome - does the problem still happen?

Patrick van der Leeuw November 1, 2016

Hi Rob,

I'm using Chrome and IE. Still no results..

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2016

Ok, if it's happening in Firefox, Chrome, IE and Edge then it's most likely an application issue. I think your best bet is to raise a support ticket.  It might be worth pointing them to this question so they can see it's not an isolated issue.

0 votes
Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2016

Hi Colette,

When you say the "Overview" page of your spaces, do you mean the home page of each space?

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2016

Assuming that's what you're referring to, there's no specific configuration item that will bulk prevent all home pages from being editable.  The most likely scenario is that another admin has changed the page restrictions to prevent people editing those pages.

Even as an administrator, you can be locked out from editing a page if someone changes the restrictions on the page.  When you prevent a user editing a page, it also removes their right to change the restrictions for the page.  Are you able to open the restrictions for any of these pages?

Hi Rob, yes I'm talking about the home page of each space.

I can't directly view the restrictions because I can't edit the page and can't view anything in the context menu, but if I go to the Space settings and look at the Permissions> Restricted Pages tab there are no pages at all listed there.

Also, if I couldn't edit the parent page, wouldn't that cascade to the child pages as well? I can edit and view and change the restrictions on the child pages within each space.

Rob Woodgate
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2016

Hi Colette,

Based on what Patrick and you have said this looks likely to be a bug rather than a permission issue (when 2 people get the same thing that's normally a red flag).  Your best bet is to raise a support ticket and point them to this question so they can see it's not an isolated issue.

On a side note, View permissions cascade (i.e. if you can't view the parent then you can't view the children), but Edit permissions don't (so you can edit the children even if you can't edit the parent). Both View and Edit permissions inherit, so when you create a child page it will have the same View and Edit permissions as the parent. Hope that helps smile

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events