Can't access confluence after SSL Setup

I'm trying to setup ssl with an self singed certificate on ubuntu 14.04. I followed the steps as described in the confluence manual:

1. $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkeypair -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
  2. sudo mv .keystore /.sslcert
  3. Uncomment
    <Connector port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true" clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" SSLEnabled="true" URIEncoding="UTF-8" keystorePass="<SECRET>" keystoreFile="</.sslcert>" />

4. change the default domain within confluence settings
  5. Restart the server

After that I can't access the server anymore it just quits:
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Could you please help?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

It seems that installation of the certificate broke the acces right to the atlassian folders. Thats quiet strange. Some other guys had this problem too.

sudo chown -R confluence:confluence /opt/atlassian/confluence/   
sudo chown -R confluence:confluence /var/atlassian/application-data

EDIT: That does not seem to be the issue. The problem actually is that the startup of the server takes very long (up to 5 minutes). So after restarting the server I noticed the follwing:
- CPU load high
- Timeout first
- After 2 Minutes: Error 500
- After 5 Minutes: CPU load decreases -> Atlassian loads fine and fast

--> So waiting fixes the problem or maybe better switch to a real hardware instead of a xen virtualised enviroment (2 GB Ram, 3 Cores)

Thanks for your help!

Check out the following:

https://www.digicert.com/easy-csr/keytool.htm

http://www.digicert.com/ssl-certificate-installation-tomcat.htm

I used those without issue for self signed and 3rd part signed.

Now the server started but then I get an error:

HTTP Status 500 - java.lang.NullPointerException

type Exception report

message java.lang.NullPointerException

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getGlobalSettings(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:47)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getEncodingInternal(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:37)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getEncoding(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:29)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:38)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44)
	com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.doFilter(FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.java:65)
	com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.DebugFilter.doFilter(DebugFilter.java:50)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)
root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
	com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager.getComponent(ContainerManager.java:33)
	com.atlassian.confluence.util.LazyComponentReference$Accessor.get(LazyComponentReference.java:46)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.Lazy$Strong.create(Lazy.java:85)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:321)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:143)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getGlobalSettings(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:47)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getEncodingInternal(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:37)
	com.atlassian.confluence.setup.ConfluenceEncodingFilter.getEncoding(ConfluenceEncodingFilter.java:29)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.encoding.AbstractEncodingFilter.doFilter(AbstractEncodingFilter.java:38)
	com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44)
	com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.doFilter(FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.java:65)
note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.47 logs.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.47

The CPU Load is also very high during startup and then the error occurs.

The error still occurs afte I've changed back to http.

For my first try I used the this manual. --> Server did not start.

The error occured when I used the configuration form this site:

http://www.digicert.com/ssl-certificate-installation-tomcat.htm

Ensure you are using a newly created keystore and then generate your self signed cert.

Now the server started but then I get an error:

HTTP Status 500 - java.lang.NullPointerException

type Exception report

message java.lang.NullPointerException

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
	com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager.getComponent(ContainerManager.java:33)
	com.atlassian.confluence.util.LazyComponentReference$Accessor.get(LazyComponentReference.java:46)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.Lazy$Strong.create(Lazy.java:85)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:321)
	com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:143)
note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.47 logs.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.47

The CPU Load is also very high during startup and then the error occurs.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 24, 2018 in Confluence

Atlassian Research opportunity with Confluence templates

Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time!   We're looking for people to participate in a   remote 1-hr workshop...

1,178 views 20 14
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you