Can a video (swf) attached to a page be played back fullscreen?

Daniel Salter July 16, 2012

(Confluence 3.5)

Hoping to maximize the playback viewing area while minimizing visual distractions such as the page banner, etc.

Many thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2012

Ok. I am assuming you're embedding Flash Player within an Object tag. You need to do 3 things:

(a) require Flash Player version 9.0.28. Prior to that version, full screen mode was not supported. If you require 9.0.115 or later, then hard-ware scaled full screen will work (higher quality/better FPS).

(b) Set the allowFullScreen parameter to true for Netscape based browsers (Firefox, Chrome, etc).

(c) Set allowfullscreen="true" in the <embed> tag for IE.

Here's the code snippet:

&lt;object&gt; 
    &lt;param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /&gt; 
    &lt;embed ... allowfullscreen="true" /&gt; 
&lt;/object&gt;

Depending on how you embed your video, there are different ways to require minimum players. If you can work it out, try using the SWFObject 2 script to embed it. The parameters are much easier to understand. Feel free to post some code and ask questions. I wrote the doc on using SWFObject 2 with Flash Player (in a prior gig as an Adobe tech writer).

--Thank you!

0 votes
Jim Bethancourt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2012

I just submitted a video plugin on the Atlassian Marketplace that wraps the Media Element player, but unfortunately it's not entirely feature complete - see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.bitbucket.mediaelement

I'm going to work to try and get the SWF player piece working pretty soon - for all intents and purposes it should be working, but the batch resource URL rewriter doesn't seem to be cooperating in my Confluence environment.

You're welcome to do an Hg pull and poke around with the source as well if you'd like.

--Thank you!

0 votes
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2012

Yes, but the easiest way to do this is to host the videos on YouTube or Vimeo or a similar service. All their Flash-based plug-ins support full screen mode. Not sure about Vimeo's nascent HTML-5 player.

Thank you for that! Unfortunately, the videos must remain in-house.

Could you perhaps elaborate on the non-easiest way? Much obliged...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events