Can a table of contents be generated from a numbered list?

Max Wiegant April 25, 2016

I have a QA wiki page with a bunch of information on it. The page was originally laid out with a numbered list, which makes navigation very hard now since there is so much info on the page.  

I was wondering if there was a way to easily generate a table of contents or some other ease-of-navigation feature to make moving around the page more graceful?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodney Hughes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2016

In edit mode of the page, click Insert>Table of Contents

That is automatically generated based on heading styles.

A neat trick I have just done is to create a TOC, but then have a table on the page.
One column of the table is the sequential topic number - normal paragraph style.
One column is the topic's title text with the Header style applied
The third column has an Expand macro in each row with the detail about that topic.

(You may find that when you apply the Heading style to the topic title text, you may then have to go back down the topic number column to change that back to paragraph style)

So you end up with a TOC at the top which relates to the topic number sequence

and a table which can be sorted by clicking the topic title text column but the detail is hidden until they click Expand, thereby keeping the page looking "neat" and uncluttered

TOC with sortable table.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events