Can a non-admin edits custom fields in JIRA?

Deleted user April 2, 2019

Our JIRA 7.13.2 instance uses many custom fields. Our customer has requested we give them permission to modify the content choices in single and multiple list fields so that they can make the changes as needed and won't have to call an Admin to do the work. 

I don't mind allowing them to modify this data as it is their data and they have a right to modify it.  However, looking at the various permission possibilitues I don't see where I can give a non-admin this permission.

Is this even possible? How would, or do, people handle this kind of request?

Thanks for your inputs.

Jim

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2019

Hi @[deleted] ,

Editing custom fields is an admin-level task, so a non admin does not have the capability to modify the single and multi-line lists. The only way to get around this is to add a customer as an admin for that project or designate a point of contact among your admins as a go-to person to perform the changes for them. 

Here is some info on project-level permissions: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/project-permissions-868982873.html

Depending on the relationship with the customer I'd probably give a manager or someone I trusted access to edit their fields, since it is their data, as long as they were knowledgeable in Jira (at least at a "Power User" level.) I would, however, remind them that, as Uncle Ben says.  "with great power comes great responsibility."

-Scott

Deleted user April 3, 2019

Thanks Scott.  I wish I could just give permission for this one custome field type but that's how it goes.

Jim

1 vote
yaniv_shoshani August 15, 2021

Hi,

In Methoda we have created a special addon that allow Non-Admins to add/edit and control custom fields, values and screen -  and its pretty easy to use. You can try at: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221078/custom-fields-administrator-for-jira-project?hosting=server&tab=overview

BR,

Yaniv

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events