Can a Confluence space be set up so that all pages created in that space have a default page restriction?

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2012

We have a space where the information is a combination of public and private information. Is it possible to set up the space so that all new pages created in the space have a veiw restriction set, by default, to the private group. The private group would then review the page and determine if the restriction should be removed and the page made viewable to the public.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2012

Hi,

I don't think it's possible to create that exact workflow out of the box, but you could achieve the same thing by having a private branch off the root of you space, create the pages there first and then move them to the public branch once they had been approved. E.g.

-Home
--Public
---User Guides

--Private
---User Guides
----Doohicky User Guide

Restrictions are inherited so if you apply the restriction at the "Private" page then everything underneath it will automatically be restricted. Once the reviewers have approved the "Doohicky User Guide" they move it (Browse -> Pages -> drag and drop) to the "Public" branch where the restriction is automatically removed and the structure is now:

-Home
--Public
---User Guides
----Doohicky User Guide

--Private
---User Guides

Arguably more steps than just adding and removing a restriction, but it has the same end result and if you move the pages you have a simple log of pages that still need approval as they're the ones still in the "Private" branch.

Would that work for you?

Andrew.

0 votes
Peter Vojtech December 16, 2015

Hi Andrew, I have the same query and the above method wouldn't work as we have a number of existing categories, with pages which are relevant for different users, so it sounds like its not possible to set a default page restriction?

E.g.

Building a House

• Foundations
  • Frames
  • Fit Out

I want Project Manager to see most pages. I want Electrician to see some fitout pages and Builder to see some frame and fitout pages.

By default, a new page is restricted only to the owner and project manager.

Can something like this be done?

Regards

Peter

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events