Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Jira run Plugins with more licences that Jira licences?

Felix Köhn December 4, 2020

Hey all,

I have a pretty simple question but didn't find a definite answer.

if i have a Jira Server instance (Version 8.8) with 500 licences can i run a 2000 licence plugin on it or does the licences between Jira and plugin always have to match?

Thank you in advance!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2020

It's not really documented anywhere I know of, but the code in Jira uses >=, not =

i.e. (app licence number) >= (Jira licence number)

So, yes, you can install a 2000 user app licence on a Jira with a 500 user licence.  It's costing you more than you need to pay, but it will work.

Hey Nic!

Thank you for the information. I will buy the 2000 Plugin licence then today.

Like Liam Green likes this
0 votes
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2020

Hi @Felix Köhn 

Welcome to the Community!

As far as I'm aware, the pricing has to match the users.

Can I ask why you'd want to pay for more plug in licences than you have Jira licences?

Hey @Liam Green

thank you for your fast reply.

I want to Upgrade Jira to 2000 Licences on Februray. The Plugins need new Licences this month.

Since I don't want to buy licences double (500 until FEB and then 2000) i would upgrade the licences for the Plugins now and Jira ind FEB.

Like Liam Green likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2020

Hi @Felix Köhn 

That makes sense then!  As @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- says - it can be done, so my initial post was incorrect.

Like Felix Köhn likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events