Can I use an "Include Page" macro or similar tool to import contents between organizations?

Deleted user February 24, 2020

We are working with a 3rd party of transferring our websites to a new platform. We have a Confluence organization for our company and they have their own separate Confluence organization for theirs.

They've been putting all of the documentation into their Confluence, so we are wondering if there is a way to "import" or "include" content from their Confluence into ours without manually copy-and-pasting it or converting it all to WORD or PDF docs to manually import them. Obviously, either of those methods causes issues because they would require manual updates every time a change is made in their organization.

I typically use an "Include Page" macro to import content between spaces within our own organization, but I haven't been able to find a similar solution for sharing content between separate organizations.

Any help with be appreciated!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2020

Hello there! Interesting objective the one you have at hand.

So, there is an important distinction between importing and accessing we need to make before moving forward. Here we go:

Importing content into your instance means that the imported content now exists within your own instance. It has been copied and moved into your Confluence

Accessing content from outside means that we do not add new content to your instance. We are only looking at it in realtime from the source.

If we import content, like spaces, we need to manually do that through XML, for example:

Confluence Cloud:

Confluence Server:

This will require some overhead for the maintenance of up to date data. There is also the detail that Confluence does not import Spaces which already exists within Confluence. We can also do a similar process on a page by page approach. Which is what you pointed out when touching the subject of Word or PDF imports.

For realtime access to another instance, we could try to use iFrames. An iFrame is capable of displaying content from another web page inside your own. For Confluence Cloud we have the iFrame Macro and Confluence Server can also use the iFrame approach, albeit a little different. Here, take a look:

With the iFrames, you are able to select specific URLs to display within your own pages in Confluence. It is not an ideal solution but requires far less maintenance than the Import and Export procedures.  

I hope this shines some light into your objectives! Looking forward to your reply.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events