Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade directly from 7.4.4 to 7.4.17?

Chris Pohlschneider June 6, 2022

We are looking to upgrade to latest Long Term Support Release. We are currently using 7.4.4 with SQL Server 2016. Want to know if I can upgrade directly to 7.4.17 or if I have to do incremental updates to get to 7.4.17

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

Yes, you can go directly between those versions.

Chris Pohlschneider June 7, 2022

Ok I appreciate the information. I am new to the update process for Confluence and started reading a little more in depth on this. When I go to "Plan Your Upgrade" within the Admin section of the site, it is saying that I should go from 7.4.4 to 7.18.1

Should I make this big of a jump and what are the Pros/Cons making this big of a jump. We are using SQL Express 2016.

Sorry for the newbie questions, but we only have a Starter License and support is limited

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2022

Yeah, the upgrade suggestion is always for "go to the latest version available (if the installer supports the jump".

There are two cons - it's more likely to go wrong than a smaller jump, and your users may find too many changes to understand when they start using the new version.

You need to look at your licence too - if it has expired, Confluence carries on working, but you may not be able to upgrade (if the release date of the target version is after expiration)

Pros - new functions, bug fixes, performance enhancements, all the things you'd expect of newer software.

Chris Pohlschneider June 10, 2022

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the suggestions. I took a snapshot of our vm before the upgrade to 7.4.17. The upgrade completed successfully, but I could not get the main page for our confluence instance to load. I reviewed the old and new server.xml and it stated that file had changed. I also looked at the web.xml file and did not seem like anything changed with it. I reverted our VM back to the snapshot I took before the upgrade and we are back up and running. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the issues after the upgrade?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events