Can I tag a person when leave a comment via Slack?

Donata June 4, 2020

Hi, 

I have a question regarding Slack integration with Jira. Can I tag a person when leaving a comment on Jira via Slack? 

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2020

Hi Donata,

Unfortunately because of the differing id's between Slack and Jira, I'm not aware of any integrations that allow you to easily tag someone. Jira Cloud's pre-bundled Slack connector does some authentication flows when you try to use it for the first time for this reason.

I would like to make sure we understand the case here though. To be clear, is the case that you're:

1. In Slack
  2. Adding a slack message as a comment to an issue using the "Add to issue" action
    image.png

and
  3. want a Jira user to be @mentioned (which would trigger a notification from Jira) ?

To be clear - this isn't currently possible to my knowledge. If that's somehow different than what you're hoping to do, I'd love to know to get the use-case documented!

Thanks,
Daniel

Dylan McSparren August 6, 2021

@Daniel Eads I know this is an old post, but that is exactly the use case I am wondering about.

Basically if someone tags me in jira, I get that notification in slack and use the integration to comment back, am I able to tag the jira user in my comment via slack?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2021

Hi @Dylan McSparren , welcome to the Community!

Thanks for indicating you're interested in @mentioning Jira users from Slack. I've created API-450 on our public Jira to track this suggestion. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events