Can I switch back to Legacy editor

Mark Schlaudraff January 13, 2020

Really like to switch back to the Legacy editor, as this new one has some nice things, but it's killing how my pages look.

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
James Dellow
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

Unfortunately, no. It is not simply a case of the "editor" changing. Atlassian is replacing the legacy XMHTL Confluence Storage Format with the new JSON-based Atlassian Document Format, which will be used across all its different products. You actually want Atlassian to provide better feature parity between the old and new.

Mark Schlaudraff January 14, 2020

Thank You, James... Well, they have not supplied a great switch over, as the new editor truly is missing a great deal of control and when it comes to adding a table, they go out of control and all tables now have scroll bars and you can make the table smaller to fit the box you put them in... Not sure what in the world they did there.  

This new editor is NOT a great improvement, it's a very large step backward.

Like # people like this
Sandy Johnson January 14, 2020

Hi Mark

You are not the only one complaining about the switch in editors. You can search the community and find many people making the same requests/complaints that you are. This goes back at least five years. :)

We've been waiting for improvements, but it just seems to be going in the wrong direction.

Sandy

Like # people like this
Matthew_Nayna February 6, 2020

I share this same Table editing issue. 

Every change Cloud Atlassian has made in the last year has not been welcomed. 

interfaces changes i appreciate will have to change every few years. 

RE: loss of function.

Tables were able to become lists of Jira tasks using the legacy editor macro. Now this function is gone. 

Loss of function is a bug. We cant work around bugs. Our team is agile but we need to reserve our trouble shooting for our companies challenges not Atlassian . We cant be learning Atlassian multiple times a year.  

Is there a way to gate the updates and release every few years? that way we can train every few years. 

Like # people like this
Prince February 28, 2020

I am very frustrated and blocked from doing things I used to do in the legacy app.

I need the expand macro where I can create collapsible areas.

Like # people like this
MI April 15, 2020

I am frustrated, because the new editor does not offer a section layout for one column. I really need it!

Like # people like this
Chris P. April 23, 2020

Looks also like new editor does not allow for file thumbnail manipulation, unlike the legacy editor:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confcloud/display-files-and-images-724765104.html

Like # people like this
Nils Leyers May 10, 2020

@Prince 

Was looking for the expand macro aswell. Can be found by toggling the "+" in the editor-toolbar ( "> expand").

Unfortunately the expand macro can not be found within the macro section.

Like # people like this
Ernst de Haan May 20, 2020

I'm able to get the Expand macro by typing:

/expand

Like ABR likes this
Robert Yu June 29, 2020

With the new editor, the "layouts" no longer allow you to move sections or have simple section that spans the width of the page.  I went back and removed these sections as a work-around.  That's an hour wasted that I won't get back.

Please listen to your customers.

Like # people like this
Tor Stefa Lura October 6, 2020

I really miss having the article be as wide as my monitor.

the [ shortcut to make a new article directly from the one editing

and the new UI is so slow to render. Its like there are to many HTML elements, and the browser is struggeling to give a snappy and smooth experience.

Like Beth Anne likes this
Adam Donahue November 29, 2020

That was an incredibly inane decision.

Like # people like this
Viktoria Lorenz February 7, 2022

We just switched to Atlassian few weeks ago and starting today I am not able to use normal templates as it was in the beginning and to work with Editor. How it is possible that someone makes all the time something worse? I even can not add a text next to the picture and this picture size can not be defined as well!!! And much more options are not possible. It was a big mistake of our company to choose Atlassian.

Like # people like this
Melinda N. August 10, 2023

You CAN revert back to the legacy page editor through Page History. archan2000 shared another response below, referencing this thread: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Can-I-revert-a-page-to-the-old-editor/qaq-p/1419099?anon_like=1419246

2 votes
archan2000 February 25, 2023

The answer on this page - editor cannot be reverted back - is not right.  Googling further you can go to Page History and go back to the legacy editor by selecting the version right before the page was converted to the new editor.  

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Can-I-revert-a-page-to-the-old-editor/qaq-p/1419099?anon_like=1419246

1 vote
Dixelle Sequeira
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 20, 2023

Yes, you can switch back to the legacy editor by making a request to the Atlassian Support team. You will have to justify your decision, as they don't give you access to it so easily.

I absolutely refuse to work with the new editor, because it doesn't even provide the bare minimum to produce quality customer-facing online help.

1 vote
Derek Williams August 24, 2020

0 votes
Alejandro Acevedo December 29, 2023

If you can find a page created in legacy editor, you can copy this page to your space and create a new one from there, I am trying this way, but I am not sure if I will lose my job in a near future.

image.png

0 votes
Kjetil Hoem [disused] February 20, 2020

I have no idea if this is possible elsewhere but at least in our setup as a workaround I can add "?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels" to my issue URL to access the legacy editor, like this:

https://yourcompany.atlassian.net/browse/TICKET-1234?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels 

Prince February 28, 2020

I believe this is for Jira. In Jira you can switch your profile to always see the legacy app. But I can't find that for Confluence, unfortunately 

Kjetil Hoem [disused] March 1, 2020

Yeah you're of course right. I didn't quite catch it was about Confluence. Hope your problem sorts out somehow.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events