Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I grant editing rights on a space without granting admin right?

Claudiu Andrei September 10, 2019

I have a space where I want any user to perform page creation, editing, deletion. 

Is there a way to grant this using the security matrix without granting the Admin right?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
F99remen September 11, 2019

It worked using the jira-users group and setting the page restriction to - No Restrictions (this should be inherited by child pages by default)

image.png

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2019

Okay, if it worked with jira-users then my guess is that jira-users is the group that gives you access to Confluence too. You can check under Global permissions which group is used for Confluence access.

Like Claudiu Andrei likes this
1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2019

Hi @Claudiu Andrei ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Yes, you can give a user/group permission to add/edit/delete pages in a space without giving them Admin permissions. Confluence have three different levels of permissions and you can learn more about them here, Permissions and Restrictions

Claudiu Andrei September 10, 2019

Good read. I'll have to set the Pages - ADD checked. And if not working change the Page level restriction to No Restrictions. If this does not work it might be something Global. I will come back with a reply later.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

When setting the Annonymous -> Pages -> Add to checked I get the wanted behaviour.

I want the same behaviour, but only for logged in users, and even after reading all of the Permissions and Restrictions documentation I did not manage to achieve this. Maybe there is a "logged in users" group out of the box of which I don't know about. (with confluence-users it did not have the same result).

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

@F99remen Is the group that gives logged in users access to Confluence listed under Space permissions? The default group is confluence-users, and you can either set the default space permission to grant them add/delete pages etc, and when a new space is created it will use this default setting. You can also change this for each space under Space Permission on each individual one.

Space Permissions.png

I am doing this inside a space (in Space Tools, Permissions) under Licensed Users, Groups. I tried giving the group confluence-users the Pages Add right and it did not work. However when I did the same for the annonymous, in the corresponding section, it worked.

image.pngSo like this it did not work, with the same setting for Annonymous it did.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

Make sure that you click the save all button at the bottom, and also that you do not have a page restriction on the parent page.

So it should have worked? (page restriction was: No Restrictions)

If it did not work could it be some Global permission which interferes?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2019

Global permissions only deals with who can log on, create spaces and have admin permissions, and shouldn't affect space permissions.

Are you on Cloud or Server? If on Server, are you using external or internal user directory?

Like F99remen likes this

It worked by adding the group jira-users with the Pages Add permission. 

We are on server. I don't know for sure about the user directory (I believe it's internal)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events