Can I extend confluence security to cover my external javadoc website?

Peter Kahn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2013

Hi all,

I want to publish my javadoc but make restrict access to my confluence users only. I know I could use LDAP and then hook apache and confluence into it. However, then I'd need to find a new mechanism to allow users to change their passwords and override confluence's change password links to use the new mechanism.

Is there a way for other applications to subscribe to confluence security? I thought that confluence and or jira could share authentication which each other even without crowd.

Can I get apache to understand confluence access control and use the users/groups in its access control file?

Thanks

Peter

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2013

I blogged about a possible solution here:

http://www.confluenza.com/2013/01/04/protect-static-html-pages-using-crowd-and-confluence/

It ties into Confluence's seraph auth scheme and I think works independent of whether you use Crowd or not.

Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013

Glad it worked for you. Took me a while to figure out, and now I can't live without it. :)

Peter Kahn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013

Excellent. I can access the files only when logged in only after

• store my files in confluence/mycontent/javadoc
  • add the following to confluence/WEB-INF/classes/seraph-paths.xml

<path name="javadoc">
<url-pattern>/mycontent/javadoc/*</url-pattern>
<role-name>confluence-users</role-name>
</path>

Peter Kahn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013

Now, all I need to do is to get the CSS working so javadoc looks as pretty as it should

Peter Kahn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013

Matt, have you worked this kind of content into confluence search?

Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013

No, that's a sticking point. Right now, we have Confluence search for the doc content and use Doxygen's built in search for the API docs. The latest thinking here is that we'll have to use a search appliance or third-party solution to get "federated" search. If you figure something out (I saw your question about search elsewhere on this site), please post a solution.

Peter Kahn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013

Will do. I'm in a unique situation. I can easily use attivio intelligence engine to search confluence and other data since we produce aie. We already have an eat-your-own-dogfood app which does this for our internal site and I got an answer to my question about overriding confluence search box behavior. So, I suspect I'll setup an instance of our product to index our external confluence and other product related information and use that to populate search results.

Matthew J. Horn
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2013

<Napolean Dynamite voice>Lucky!<...>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events