Can I exclude a person or group from viewing a page in Confluence?

Tobias Vollmer March 26, 2012

All our pages are generally open for viewing to all logged in users. We have an external user who we would like to exclude on a space.

Can we add a restcrition like "all users bar XYZ" or restrict hte page otherwise?

1 answer

2 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2012

Hi Snafu,

Good News! Yes we can exclude users or group to viewing certain page from Confluence. You can do this by restricting the view of certain page from Tools >> Restrictions. The users who can restrict certain page must have the permission from Space permission. For further reading regarding this, please refer to the following documentations.

* http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Page+Restrictions

* http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Space+Permissions+Overview

Hope this information helps.

Best regards,
Josua

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2012

But I think, what Snafu wants, is not possible. You can restrict a page to a certain person or group, but you cannot restrict it to "everyone except xyz". That would only be possible, if you could create a group "everyone except xyz" and restrict the page to that group.

RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2012

Ahh I see, sorry for the misunderstanding. For this, you need to create another group and include all user except xyz. And then assign the permission to that group. Cheers.

Tobias Vollmer March 28, 2012

Hi Josua,

thanks for the tip. But can I add "all Users" to a group? We have more than 300 Users in Confluence and adding a "comma seperated list" and most importtanly maintaining this list (or more than one !) would be admin horror. :-(

Topaz Gino December 1, 2014

I would appreciate an answer on this question as well if there's an expert who could help ?

Khuong Vu October 12, 2016

Rian's suggestion on 3/28/12 works for me as follows:  

1. We have a group called library-include-all, which is maintained by Confluence; i.e. all new users with a valid campus login can log in, and the new users are automatically added to library-include-all.  Effectively, the library-include-all group contains faculty, staff, and student assistants working in the library.
  2. We have another group called library-faculty-staff, which is maintained by a system admin; all new faculty and staff are added to library-faculty-staff.  Luckily, this group is not hard to maintain, because it is quite stable.
  3. We have a page that we want to restrict viewing to our faculty and staff; i.e. we want to exclude the students.  So, I restrict the page to the group called library-faculty-staff.

Thank you Rian.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events