Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I disable the Word export functionality but still use PDF export functionality?

Mick Davidson March 7, 2012

Hello again,

We want to enable the Export functionality but only want to let users print to PDF.

Is it possible to do this?

The Export permission allows both Word and PDF, but we do not want people to export to Word.

Cheers,

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

Ah Confluence! Go to plugins and disable Export as Word (wordexport) from Page Operations plugin under System plugins and see if it helps!

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

It shouldn't cause any other issues. In the worst case, you can enable it back. It definitely wouldn't blow the wiki up.

Jobin,

Excellent, I've found it! Thanks for your patience.

Before I disable this, is it likely to have any consequences other than disabling the Word export functionality?

I'm assuming what happens is that the menu option will disappear from the whole of our wiki instance, but that it won't affect anything else.

This probably soudns a bit dumb, but I don't want to blow the wiki up. :)

Cheers.

OK, thanks.

Mick Davidson March 14, 2012

I've just gone to do this and I get the following msg: Module cannot be modified.

This might be an admins thing, just in case anyone else needs to do it. I may not have enough permissions, so will see if anyone else can.

Cheers.

2 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2012

Just realised that there is a much simpler way..... You don't need to disable functionality, just take away the menu which allows users to exprt to word. All the code is still active but no user can export to word.

• Open up confluence admin
  • Go to Custom HTML option & edit.
  • Paste the following code into the HEADER section
<style type="text/css">
#action-export-word-link{ display: none}
</style>

What it does is that it over-rides the default CSS and make it disappear!

Mick Davidson March 14, 2012

Yes, we've just been told that too, thanks. This is a msg that appears in Confluence:

"This library includes the page operations items which are core to Confluence. It should never be disabled"

We might go with the Custom HTML idea.

Thanks.

Peter Kahn February 12, 2013

That's excellent. I created a user macro to do that and then added my macro wrapped in a show-to based on group. So, employees can export to word but customers cannot. Thanks

Peter

jason grimm February 27, 2015

We need to do this as well but Custom HTML does not seem to honor macros. Can anyone provide a code example or a link to documentation on how to embed macros using the Admin/Custom HTML feature?

Mugove Machaka January 23, 2018

Hi Mathew,

I tried your custom HTML method and its not working on cloud version.

How can i hide the word export from the page menu list

Thanks.

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2012

Yes, you can do it. Go to Administration > Plugins and find the Issue View Plugin under System Plugins. Expand the module and you can then disable the Word (issue-word) module.

Jobin,

thanks for the info.

I've followed your instructions, and I can find Confluence PDF Export, but cannot find anything for Word. I've searched the page for Word and for MS, and niether are there.

I'm looking under System Plugins, which I opened from Plugins. I don't see anything that has the word 'issue' in it. Maybe that's why I'm not finding what I'm looking for. :)

Cheers,

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2012

It's the "Issue Views Plugin", there is a module called "Word (issue-word)"

If you've got an older version of Jira, there isn't a System Plugin section

Matthew,

Thanks, but I'm in Confluence.

There's only one instance of the word issue in the list and that's for Jira-connector.

When I expand that, there's nothing about Word in any of the options.

Thanks. :)

0 votes
arron lee November 5, 2015

Hi, Christoph Maaß. 

As for myself, I have seldom tried to export the files to Word or PDF. I wonder have you ever worked it out? Do I need another 3rd party manual toolkit? When it comes PDF conversion process, I have another question, I wonder have you ever tried to convert pdf to other image files before? As for myself, I am testing the related PDF to PNG converting , PDF to BMP converting , and PDF to JPG converting programs these days. Do you have experience about it? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Best regards, 

Pan 

---------------------------------------------------------------- 

Related: pdf conversion

0 votes
Christoph Maaß September 30, 2013

Hi, would it be possible to disable the download function of an attachment by this HTML method?

I know there is a solution for that that requires some coding, but it only works on stand-alone systems, but I use an on demand system. How would the code look like, if its possible and where does it have to be placed.

Thanks

Chris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events