Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I bulk create pages using a template with variables that are filled in from data in excel?

Jeremy Schrecengost November 24, 2020

I am attempting to make a dictionary of internal terms. I have designed a template for the dictionary and added variables to each of the sections that will need to be filled out. 

I have a spreadsheet that has data that contains the page name and data for the variables. Is there a way to do a bulk import (similar to JIRA) where I use the spreadsheet to fill in the variables I created in the template?

1 answer

0 votes
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2020

I have this challenge too!

One thing I tried was to convert the spreadsheet into a table in MS Word, then highlight the first column and format the text as Heading 1 before trying to import it into Confluence.

This process created the new pages all right, and if I recall correctly the information in the other cells appeared as a table in the newly-created pages. Of course the import process did not include labels or formatting, so going back in and editing all the new pages was still needed.

As far as I know there is not a way to have Confluence automagically insert markup as part of the Word import process.

I am very interested in other solutions to this challenge!

Jeremy Schrecengost November 30, 2020

We have a distinct format for our wiki too and if I am going to have to apply it to every page then it really does not save any time. I have looked at exporting XML and importing the XML just edited but I have not found a good way to edit the XML (there are too many references that I do not know what they track and how changing them would affect the import)

Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2020

I don't know if your wiki format would lend itself to this idea, but one thing I tried was doing a mail merge in MS Word, piping data from Excel into an MS Word doc (one page per record). The Word doc could then be imported into Confluence. But the page layout/formatting might not translate as desired.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events