Can I assign different article visibility levels in a Space?

I need 3 different visibility levels in a KnowledgeBase: Director, Manager and Analyst

Directors can see all articles published, Managers can see only articles created by managers and analysts and analysts can see only articles created by analysts.

When creating an article, the user can select its visibility level. A Manager can create an article only for managers (and automatically for directors) or set the visibility level for analysts, making it visible for every user in the Space.

Can I configure Confluence this way?

1 answer

1 vote
Davin Studer Community Champion Oct 08, 2014

Really, the way you are wanting to do it would be best with three spaces rather than one space. This way the spaces can be structured however you want.

But if you really want to do it in one spacee the only real way to do it in one space would be to have three groups that have view a create permissions. Then create three root level pages. One called Director Pages, one called Manager Pages, and one called Analyst Pages. The Director Pages will be given a viewing restriction for the director group. The Manager Pages will be given a viewing restriction for the director and manager groups. The Analyst Pages will be unrestricted. When you create a new pages you would then place it under the appropriate parent page. The reason this works is because viewing restriction apply to the parent and all the child pages as well. So, the way you would control who can see it would be put them under the appropriate top level page. That is the only way I can think of to do it.

Some more questions: in my example, a director would see director's page as default or choose one of the available pages to see the content? The director's page would list all level items or the user will need to access the lower level's page to see the content?

Davin Studer Community Champion Oct 08, 2014

If you used three spaces you could set each space to have its own home page, but if you use one space that space has only one home page and these three parent pages would be children of it. So, everyone will go to the space home page first. The structure would look like this. Space Home <-- No view restrictions |-Director Pages <-- View restricted to the director group | |-Director Sub Page | |-Director Sub Page | |-Director Sub Page |-Manager Pages <-- View restricted to the director and manager groups | |-Manager Sub Page | |-Manager Sub Page | |-Manager Sub Page |-Analyst Pages <-- No view restrictions | |-Analyst Sub Page | |-Analyst Sub Page | |-Analyst Sub Page

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in New to Confluence

How to use Confluence Cloud for stakeholder management

Most of us don’t need much convincing that stakeholder management is important. It just makes sense that keeping everyone in-the-know on projects and assigning clearly defined roles is key to having ...

1,104 views 1 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you