It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

[CONFLUENCE] How can I remove empty whitespace / paragraph tags?

One common problem with Confluence is that it frequently generates phanatom white space above and below elements such as macros, tables, images, etc. Removing them can be an impossible task. How can you do it?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

The answer to this is to use jQuery. Place the following JavaScript in the "At end of the BODY" section of your Custom HTML (this is not possible AFAIK with Confluence OnDemand).

<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery('p').each(function() {
    var $this = $(this);
    if($this.html().replace(/\s| /g, '').length == 0)
        $this.remove();
});
</script>

Full credit for this script goes to "ruslyrossi" on StackOverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10225967/remove-p-nbsp-p-with-jquery-if-no-value).

Where exactly do I need to put this code? I am already using a set of code for PDF export. so, Please suggest.

Thanks!

For Confluence Cloud I found that if you position your cursor immediately to the left of a macro while editing, a single vertical line will appear. If you hit the backspace (delete) key then that space will go away briefly and then reappear. If you do that for all macros on the page then the <p><br></p> will no longer be inline between the macros after saving/publishing.

Thank you so much, man!

You can't imagine how long I was fighting with that extra space until I noticed your comment.

This is such a tedious process... I wish Atlassian did not introduce them in the first place.

I had hoped that it would no longer be an issue with the new editing experience but seems to still be there. I do most of my docs in Google Docs now anyway but still need to use Confluence for the JSD KB Articles. Maybe it gets fixed on the next UX release.

Agreed - it is tedious and should be unnecessary. 

<script>
AJS.toInit(function() {
   AJS.$("document").ready(function() {
     AJS.$("br").remove();
   });
 });
</script>

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

How is your team having fun and bonding, remotely, utilizing Confluence?

Thanks everyone for answering last week’s question. The winner of the random drawing from those who commented is: @LarryBrock I’ll contact you separately with your prize details. This wee...

283 views 9 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you